Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust in the cab

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tommyboy, Apr 11, 2000.

1. tommyboy

tommyboy Newbie

Is there a way to stop the exhaust from rolling into the back window of my blazer. I have tried to dump the exhaust underneath the truck but it still has not solved the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Where does the end of your exhaust pipe(s) come out? At the back of the truck? If so, you should have them come stick out the sides either behind the back tires or infront of the back tires. I got mine coming out the sides behind the back tires.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Absolutely right. On a pickup its OK to have dumps or straight pipes out the back, but thats about deadly on a Blazer. It will just suck the fumes back in your tailgate window. I've had mine exit out the sides behind the tires at a 90 degree angle and also more of a 45 degree angle. With both setups I was able to cruise with the back window down and no problems.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. chad

chad Registered Member

One thing you can do is get one of those wind deflectors that mounts on the back of the topper. The pushes the exhaust air down and also brings fresh air in the window if you want to drive with it open. My dad had a 6.2 in an 82 with a deflector and we drove with the window down all the time. Didn't ever smell exhaust at all

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

5. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Yeah Chad's right ....
    you should be able to pick one up for
    around $40.00

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the exhaust come straight out the back or dump underneath the vehicle it will suck the fumes into the cab through an open rear window, even with a wind deflector (I've tried it). The only setup I have used that didn't cause this was having the pipes exit to the sides behind the rear wheels.

7. chad

chad Registered Member

That's weird?!? In my dad's 6.2 he had it out the back and we never had a problem.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

8. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

My buddy and his dad are in the exhaust biz. they say not to run the pipes out the back because even if you don't smell exhaust, carbon monoxide will still seep in. This is true with even newer style vehicles, Tahoes, Suburban, etc. Even with perfect seals and a brand new vehicle, it is colorless and oderless. You could have a good sleep on a long trip.

Mine dump behind rear wheels, but when I slow down from highway speed to 30's rapidly I still get exhaust in the back even with the deflector.

Good luck

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Mine comes out on the side behind the rear tire at a 90 degree angle not a 45 and I have no wind deflector and I can crawl around the hills and no fumes come in. Also I do have six month old exhaust system so everything is tight with no leaks. Make sure your pipe exits at a 90 degree it keeps the tail pipe further away from the window.
    Corey 78K5

10. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Hhhmph!

I have a 3" exhaust tubes exit behind the rear tires and cut at a 90 degree angle.. AND STILL the ehaust fumage is entering the cab area.. I can smell it like its really about to choke me out! My old Blazer had holes in the body that I had stuffed up with blankets and I never smelled it that bad... but my newer(actully older than the old Blazer I had last year) Seems to seep the gas right through the steel! Smells wicked! i have to occasionally drive around with the window open a crack or I might pass out!

I have straight pipes-- no CATS no crossovers, flowmasters-- a real machine! But I drive it on the road and my wife rides with me when she ABSOLUTLEY has to--other wise she has a little rice burner to toy with!
    I'm working on replacing the EGR hoses N stuff to see if that might fix it.

(there are no through the body rust holes--the K5 is a killer blazer for the year--and The Area of the country.. ..known as the "Salt Belt" / New England

so? whats goin' on???

-Dv8

"The only gun control this country needs is a steady hand".-- bumper sticker I Envy

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Who sells the wind deflectors? And what about installing them into the fiberglass? Is there a special way to do it, or do you just screw it in?

12. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Just line up the deflector straight and mark the holes then drill through the top layer of fiberglass. The topper is actually two layers there. I put some butyl tape sealer around the holes before bolting it on to keep the water from going between the layers.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

13. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I get exhaust in my cab to! I have an 88 Jimmy and no rust holes, with a air deflector. The exhaust exists the side behind the rear tire. Any one figure this out let us know! I close the back window and turn on the air!