Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust is on - few q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Mar 27, 2007.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i went to the local exhust place today and the said $620 for true duals, 2 high flow cats all the pipe and hangers 2 3" chrome tips, and 2 glass packs.

My question is should i go with the glass packs?? or should i go with magniflow? thats what they carry there i believe. Is the price much diffrent?? and what about sound??

And does $620 sound like a good price for true duals??

Thanks brad.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The packs I had on my 1st K5 were loud when you were in it and would pop some when you let out, basically anytime there was compression going on. I loved it but I was also a lot younger then. Although it was fun to cruise the parking lot at school and set off all the car alarms.:haha:

My next one I put some "Baby Turbo's" and it sounded pretty good but not great and not just obnoxiously loud. They were a cheaper version of Flowmasters.

The one I have now has Flowmaster 40's and sounds great. Not so loud you can't think, loud enough to let you know the motor is alive.:D I wish I had done this on the first two as well. When I save enough the crew cab is going to get them.

These were all on TBI 350's w/auto.

Price to do the true duals here was almost $400 on the one with Baby Turbos. That was to remove the stock stuff and put on the new. The connection was made just above the first bend on the stock pipes (where it was still vertical).

I don't know how this will affect your Dodge but if you have a 360 it would be pleasing to the ear with the Flowmasters. One of our mechanics has glass packs on his 1/2 ton Dodge w/360 and true to form they are loud. Remember that the longer the glass pack is the quieter it will be (if that is possible).:laugh:

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Magnaflow hands down.

And get stainless steel tips instead of chrome if you want them to last more than a year.

Lastly, my personal opinion is to have the exhaust exit at a 90° angle to the body at the back. I dislike the duals that run straight back under the rear bumper.

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

well im back from getting it all put on. Sounds pretty good, not as loud as i would like tho.

I got dual pipes the whole way. dual cats, dual 18" glasspacks, and 2 3" ss tips.

What can i do to make it louder and more aggresive??? flowmaster 40 series maybe??

Any comments or ideas??

Thanks brad.

5. BulldogK5

You used to be able to get the packs really hot and then run cold water up into them and blow the fiberglass packing out. Then you will just have a straight pipe. Don't know if the newer versions can do that or not.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most glasspacks I have seen will get a little louder after they "break-in" a little.

7. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i took the truck in today before work and had them take the glass packs off and just straight pipe it.

ITS FREAKING LOUD:D :D :D :D

Everybody is saying its 2 loud now lol. I am kinda thinking that to. There are alot of loud trucks in town. And the guys at the exhaust place said they have had 4 kids come in this week that had straight pipes that had to get mufflers put back on because they got pulled over.

Now im wondering lol , my 87 chevy is pretty much dumped right out of the headers no exhaust at all and its not as loud as this truck.

So if i wanna make it a lil quieter what should i do?? i guess i could live with putting the glasspacks back on. But what about some flowmasters?? would that make it louder than the glasspacks were??

Thanks brad.

8. BulldogK5

Cherry Bombs? Or try some 6" or 12" glasspacks if they are still made.

9. Rednekjimmy86

Rednekjimmy86 Registered Member

I have straight pipes on my truck with a cat and it's loud, but you get use to it after a while and besides I wanted it loud.
    The guy at the exhaust shop said if it get's too loud, he could quite it down by putting on a resonator.

10. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Flowmasters will provide a "deep rumble" as opposed to the glasspacks higher pitched sound (noise IMO).

Also, the closer the mufflers are to the engine, the louder they tend to be.

IE: Identical setup with the mufflers near the headers will be significantly louder than if the mufflers were at the far rear of the vehicle.

If you want the "deepest (not loudest) sound possible" 40 series Flowmasters without tailpipes may be what you are looking for. This setup will sound "mean" but if you drive the vehicle everyday or on long trips, I would not recommend it due to the resonance.

Roy

11. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Try the Flowmaster Super 44 they just released, its a little more loud and agressive than the 40, sounds better IMO.