Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, May 26, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

I am looking to get straight pipes out the back of my 88 K5, but when i go to my local 4 wheels shop they say they cant do it? Now i was reading a post earlier from "Mudnurl" and in one of the reply's some one said something about running them outside the frame? Is this because of where the fuel tank sits as to why they cannot get straight pipes. Sorry if this is useless question, but you all are my source for knowledge on my K5 until i learn all of it myself. Maybe if you can post a link to where i can get or have a shop fabricate some would help. Or even just reply as to if a local pipe shop fabricated some.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you might want to find another shop. i had a 82 running headers true dual right out the back and on the 89 i have now the muffler fell of so i replaced it with a flowmaster and it has dual pipes going out the back. what they might be thinking is that you want a true dual system that would be illeagal because of the cats. you could run 2 cats and 2 mufflers but depending on where you live with emisions laws it might be a problem.

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

well ,when i was going to get the exhaust run for my blazer, i was told by my mechanic/friend that they could not do it because i had to run through 1 catalytic convertor (sp). anyway, i ran a single exhaust (3") all of the way. now, i'm not sure if they couldn't because of "the law", or because i have 4WD, and there does not seem to be enough room down there on the passenger side.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They might have been referring to the fact that it is against the law to have your exhaust exit out the back on a K5 or any other vehicle that has a rear window that can go down because the exhaust fumes will roll back into the rear window allowing the occupants to get carbon monoxide poisoning. If you look at any new vehicle with a rear window that rolls down you will notice that the exhaust exits out the side just behind the rear wheel. Hope this helps any.

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to run them out the back? first time you get a hairy departure angle you'll pinch the damned things shut, and if you ever have to back down a creek because of high water its a bitch having those straight pipes then,shoot them out the sides, right behind the rear wheels. Or do like I did they're under neath and stop at the muffers with a small turn down, don't know how legal it is but its handier than, a beer in EACH hand.