Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Kits.... what works?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got a set of hooker competitions headers on my 82 K20, and was wondering if anybody has tried to install one of the exhaust kits that comes with all of the pre-bent pipes, like this dynomax kit from Jegs. The truck has a TH350 with a 205, wich I do not believe is stock for the truck.... does this complicate the issue? Also, what other pre-bent exhaust kits has anybody tried... and what kind of success have you had (any modifications necessary?). I'm looking for a true bolt on exhaust kit... I don't want to have to mess around with modifying all the pipes and whatnot.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

TTT.... anybody?

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I used that kit on my '78. I have a set of Hedman headers and I used dual Dynomax super turbo mufflers. The kit worked well, but if you decide to use a clamp together system I would suggest that you get all of the fittings welded after you have installed it. Exhaust clamps never seem to hold too well. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

The kit itself went together without modification, right? That is all that I am worried about, because if I have to do mods to it I'll just go to an exhaust shop and spend the extra 50 bucks or so to have them bend and weld me a whole system.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, like he suggested, if you need to have it welded up anyways, how much is the "kit" really going to end up costing, compared to having a shop do it for you?

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

a friend i grew up with just opened a muffler shop.let me call him and see how much,he does custom work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

My kit went together just fine. If it's only $50 more, I would go with a custom system. I couldn't find anybody to do a full system for less than $300. That is why I went with the cheaper kit ($100 + mufflers)

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

he said $240.00 with turbo mufflers all the way back(2 1/2 in), or $200.00 if you want to buy your own muffler's. i don't know what you want but i'm sure if you went 2 1/4 like jeg's and other changes it would be lower. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

I know a muffler shop in Durand, MI (just over in Shiawassee CO.) that does good work cheap. I didn't really need a full system all of the way back, so I'll probably call up Dave's and have him do it. I believe he did the same job for a friend of mine for like 150 with 2 1/4 pipes that dumped off under the bed. I just happened to see a kit without mufflers (I have two flows I'm gonna put on it already) in Jeg's for our year trucks that was going for like 99 bucks... thought that if it was a good deal I'd just go with that... but oh well.

Thanks for the help guys

10. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

BTW boggerless... where is your buddy's shop at? I doubt that its gonna be closer to me than Dave's... but I may have to check it out.

11. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

How loud are the super turbos by dynomax? Are they just as loud or louder then the flowmaster 40 delta?

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a set of hooker competitions headers on my 82 K20, and was wondering if anybody has tried to install one of the exhaust kits that comes with all of the pre-bent pipes, like this dynomax kit from Jegs. The truck has a TH350 with a 205, wich I do not believe is stock for the truck.... does this complicate the issue? Also, what other pre-bent exhaust kits has anybody tried... and what kind of success have you had (any modifications necessary?). I'm looking for a true bolt on exhaust kit... I don't want to have to mess around with modifying all the pipes and whatnot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used this Dynomax system on my '87, I had to take the pipe tha goes past the transfer case, an have it bent up a couple inches. Otherwise the pipe on the left side was going to go under the transfer case bracket. Other than that problem, it works great. I used exaust sealer on all of my connections, so I didn't have any leaks.

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How loud are the super turbos by dynomax? Are they just as loud or louder then the flowmaster 40 delta?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't seem much more than stock, really.