Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust laws?

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Is it illegal to dump your exhaust befoer your back axle in texas?

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

The way I understand it, is it has to be past the passenger compartment or out the side of the body. For example on a truck it can stop just past the cab. On a blazer you can turn them out the side in frt of the rear wheels.

I do not believe it is "legal" to turn them down on a blazer but no one enforces this.

Call one of the muffler shops around you and ask, if they will do it, I wouldnt worry about it.

Hope this helps

3. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Dont know the legality but ive got turn downs and passed inspection yesterday. (Grayson Co.)

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It depends on the inspector. They will be the ones deciding whether or not it's okay. But legally, the exhaust has to exit past the passenger compartment. Turndowns are okay...as long as it goes past the body on the blazer (or under the bed somewhere on a pickup

5. bigblue86

bigblue86 Registered Member

on my old 86 suburban I just ran pipe from the headers back NO muffler.. Lets just say make sure to take it to a small shop in Hunt Co if you want it to pass. I got a ticket for it being to loud but [censored] happens.. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Most cops dont care as long as its not 1 am and in Plano and your balls to the wall drivin /forums/images/icons/cool.gif cost me $150 for my ticket there..

6. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

The book says the exhaust has to exit from under the body on a blazer. If it is a pickup it has to be past the cab unless it has a camper shell then it has to exit from under the truck like everything alse. They consider the camper shell a passenger compartment like the blazers. Been doing inspections for 6 years