Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snidgen, Apr 11, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

so im getting the exhaust on my 72 k5 done. whats better out the back under the bumper or out the side behind the rear tire. does anyone use a crossover "H" pipe or should i just go two duel w/o the crossover

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Going straight out the back usually causes fumes to be sucked into the cab if the rear window is open, though with the top off you usually don't have that problem.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Correction
    On a 72 you cannot have the back window down! It is a hatch.
    On my 72 I just had the tips point down and out just off the mufflers. I don't like it this way only cuz on a dusty trail it blows a dust cloud out from under my rig and unless i'm moving it will start to bring the dust into my rig. I had it made this way originaly thinking I didn't want the tail pipes to interfear with the flex of the rear end. More twards out the back is my next setup down the road. Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm running an H-pipe. It's supposed to give you more low-end torque. Mine is a 79, and the headers ended too near the tranny, so the H-pipe had to go behind the transfer case. According to the installation manual, you should install them as near to the headers as possible. I don't have a dyno so I don't know if mine are actually doing anything (good I hope).

Some people actually lose low-end torque after installing headers. I used the Flowtech Afterburners and the H-pipe, and I did gain a little on the low-end. So I guess that's good news.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Run an H pipe. It gives you some more low end torque. Pipes out the back suck fumes into your vehicle window up or not it seeps through the tail gates lower seal. Mine are out the side mid rear fender. It sounds good, no fumes and out of the way when im winching from the back.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com