Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust manifold and rtv

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Who uses rtv on their gaskets and who doesn't? What are your reasons?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I use Super Gold or Copper Silicone RTV or something like that. This is O2 sensor safe.

Works great. The only time they leak afterward is when I take the collectors or the exhaust manifolds off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It has worked for the last four years on my 383.

BTW: This only worked for about 8 months on my 402. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

i do
    i use ultra cooper on mine (2 sbc engine whit header)
    and if u got header use the gasket for the cast iron manifold, they last a lot longer then the gasket for the header .
    if u got regular manifold dont bother just bolt them on and GO
    felpro# ms 9275b

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just use a gasket, no RTV.
    I have heard of this trick in case it leaks:
    Go to the parts store and buy TWO sets of exhaust manifold gaskets. The Mr. Gasket (cheap) brand is OK.
    Get a cookie sheet or something that you can fill with water and let them soak in it overnight.
    Then, use two each and install them. The water will have made them more pliable and when you torque the manifolds or headers down, it will seal better. I assume you'd let the gaskets air dry before you start the engine.

DISCLAIMER: I hear that in a Hot Rod magazine or somewhere but have not actually tried it. I have saved it in my brain for the day that I have a leak problem at the head, but mine do not leak so I have not tried it.

-- Mike

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i'm not a big fan of silly-cone if it was ment to have a gasket replace it with a gasket JMO!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I never have, but the exhaust shop that did my exhaust used the red for the collector gaskets. If ever I need to replace them or the exhaust manifold gaskets, I'm going with the copper gaskets. I have them on my Nova, and they are great!

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Usually you use RTV just to hold the gaskets in place while you are positioning and tightening down the manifold so they dont shift. I dont use any on mine, just anti-seize on the bolt threads.
    Jeremiah