Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust manifold bolts. Plugs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Richard *UT*, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Richard *UT*

Richard *UT* Newbie

On the Exhaust manifold there are holes that air from the blower pump blowes into. I am looking for a plug to plug these holes. I was told they are "Size 22 and 1 1/2 pitch on the thread". Do any of you fine gentelmen know where these can be located? A Vendor name would help out greatly and Thanks in advance.

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You must live in Tooele? (or you would need to leave the air on, right?:grin:)

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

local hardware store, water pipe plugs, youll find them, they are cheap

good luck

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--home depot has em!

You need 1/4 inch pipe plugs--they arent the perfect thread.but they screw right in and seal tightly with their tapered thread--- OR--

You can do what I do when I dont have time for trips to the hardware store--I crimp the rusted "flute pipes" with diagonal cutting pliers as close to the "nut" where they screw in,cut them flush,and braze or weld the crimped tube shut,filling the nut thing with weld too,so it wont leak--since its hard to get them out sometimes without snapping them off in the exhaust manifold,I usually just cut and weld them shut--this works to remove frozen ones too,weld the center where the tube comes out,let the heat soak in awhile,then it will usually come right out..

I hope your inspection doesnt include a "visual inspection"--the first place they look is at those pipes,then they look for the air pump thats no longer there--good luck!..:crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

water pipe plugs threads are identical thread, are for the 80-up manifolds i know, i would think same on 73-79 also, but cant remember, just did this on an 83 K-20 5.7L set of manifolds not that long ago,

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they fit good enough!

Yup,I had to block off the pipes on the 86 305 I put in my C10 last summer--the holes are actually 1/4 inch straight pipe thread on the non-metric ones,I'm not sure what the metric ones are,but the 1/4 inch NPT ones fit both,and seal good,havent had any come out by themselves yet,I just snug them up after warming it up the first time,havent had any problems--but I usually just weld em up ,its quicker and cheaper--not everyone has torches or a welder though..:crazy: