Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust manifold bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Feb 19, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Getting ready to remove the rusted bastardos and I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks out there that will help me remove these without braking them off in the head????? I've soaked'em once with PB Blaster at the head and the bolts them selves. I'm gonna do it again this afternoon and each afternoon until the new headers arive.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never busted one off in the head yet...I usually snap the bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold though. I don't think the ones in the head are a real problem.
    All I've ever used is a socket and ratchet...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Also each day tap them with a hammer to hopefully break up the rust on them that might be binding inside the block. I don't think you will have a problem eitherway unless they are way rusted from salt or something. I removed the originals from my 82 scottsdale which from looks alone promised to break off on me without trouble at all. My 85 the same story except I cross threaded one putting it back in so I had it retapped for like $15. Even if you break one its not the end of the world. Remember remove them while the block is hot because the iron has expanded also remember its going to be HOT if you touch it!

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh, I thought about when it was hot, but that is not an option at this point in time. I have no gas tank. But I may wait till I get the truck runnign again to let it get hot and then remove them. Its gonna be loud as hell though getting it warm with just the stock manifolds and no pipe. [​IMG]

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, they're off. Came off with ease other than the damn alternator bracket that bolts in behind the damn power steering pump. But my new alternator doesn't use it anyway so I cut the biotch off. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I knew it wouldn't be that bad. I also knew you wouldn't wait until your truck is running again. Atleast I know I wouldn't.

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Sad thing is now I wish I would have. Cause now they tell me the headers aint gonna be here till the 1st of March. So now Im down for another week. [​IMG]