Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust manifold gasket

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cegusman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I pulled one of my exhaust manifolds off to change a freeze plug, the was no gasket there. I never had any ehaust leaks. Do I need to get a set uf exhaust manifold gaskets. I have been told I could just to rub greese around the ports and bolt it back together, will that work? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 6.2L didn't come with any exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory, and as long as your manifold mating surface looks decent, you don't any gaskets now. Just clean the mating surfaces really well with a wire brush, and bolt it back on. Don't use any grease.

I've done it both ways: with and without gaskets, and I've never had any leaks either way. When I put my turbo on, I didn't use any gaskets at all, none between the manifold and block, and none between the turbo and manifold. I did use some high-temp silicone on the turbo mating surface, though, but nothing on the manifold to block surface.

Casey