Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust manifold gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

In the past I installed some headers and had a leaky exhaust.. I'm gonna be putting the stock manifolds on the burb. Any tips on not having leaks? what ftlbs and torque pattern should I use? Paper, or cork gasket? single or double gaskets? Should I try the soaking in water trick? I wanna her your experiences.
    thanks,
    James

2. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

Why would you want to put the factory manifolds back on the burb? I don't think that my 89 factory manifolds had gaskets on them when I took them off and put on a set of headers from summit. I would check and see if percy's makes something that will fit it. They make what they call "dead soft" aluminum gaskets and I have never been able to get them to leak. They have two layers of soft aluminum that seal really well. I had them on a 5.0 mustang that had headers and always drug the drivers side. I tried paper then copper and both leaked. Then I got the percy's and never leaked again. That is just my .02, and like I said, I don't know if they make gaskets for factory manifolds or not.

Erik

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

GM makes a set of stainless steel exhaust manifold gaskets, I use them on my 63 Impala SS with factory ramhorn manifolds, never had a problem. My parts guy at the dealership says that he has never had a problem with them. Not sure of the part number, sorry

4. 78Suburban

so if I use cork or paper if those are my only options? should I double, should I soak? :wink1:
    thanks,
    James

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have the exhaust manifolds resurfaced and then install them with NO gaskets and they will not leak. Also best to use a shakeproof washer under the heads of the bolts instead of lock washers.

6. 78Suburban

how do you resurface them? how does a wire brush attachment on a grinder sound? What are shakeproof washers, never really heard of those...

so no gasket would be less likely to leak than a gasket?
    thanks,
    James

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take them to a machine shop and they can put them in their surfacing machine and resurface them. A shakeproof washer is a washer with serrations all around either the inside or outside of it. If you ever seen a flexplate washer those are shakeproof washers.

Yes, once the manifold is surfaced flat there is a way less chance of a leak without a gasket. Also around here i charge $40.00 a piece to resurface exhaust manifolds just so you have an idea of what they might charge you.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck using the metal replacement gaskets (three pieces per side) from any of the chain stores. The header-type one piece gaskets don't work as well with the stock manifolds.

Using a locking washer is a good idea. Chevy exhaust manifold bolts loosen faster than any other bolt known to man!

9. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

When using factory cast manifolds I make sure the are clean and flat. I bolt them on WITHOUT gaskets. I have never had them leak! The only time I use manifold gaskets is when running headers.

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

What about in big blocks? Same run without gaskets? If I didnt resurface the stockers but put in gaskets will it still leak? I would rather not have to have them machined. It would be cheaper to throw in gaskets then resurfacing. I know its not expensive but I would rather put that money towards a nice set of headers instead.

11. 78Suburban

boy, do they ever leak!!!!!!

Fired my engine today. Set the timing on it. When I installed the exhaust manifolds, I put gaskets on the side with all the AC bracketry. The other side got pulled kinda close too the engine, and I was having a hard time prying it back, so I installed that side WITHOUT gaskets. I didn't use a torque wrench on either side, and I torqued evenly from the outside in. Both sides poured out smoke like crazy... I got a major face full of fumes. I don't wanna have to pay to have my manifolds machines, and no I don't want headers. My exhaust manifolds bolts are rusted down smaller than 9/16 and one has a head that is a little rounded.

So what do I do from here? try to get some more metal gaskets and use a torque wrench? Where is the best place to get manifold bolts?
    Thanks in advance,
    James

12. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

get the copper or alum gaskets . they worked on my friends he keeped having leaks . i just cleaned my manifolds when they were takin off but i tightend the inside bolts then the outer , no gaskets and no leaks maybe i got lucky. GOOD LUCK!!

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

leave the headers on. replace the gaskets with atock type manifold gaskets, and replace your collector gaskets with deadsoft aluminum versions. after i started doing this, i have never had a header leak since.

14. 78Suburban

Its stock exhaust manifolds. I left the gaskets off the passenger side just to see what would happen, since some people don't use them. I put gaskets on the PITA driver side w/ AC bracketry. Both sides leak. Guess I suck at tightening bolts correctly or something.
    thanks,
    James

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:confused: whats your beef with headers?

16. 78Suburban

my wallet :eek1: :o ,
    James

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i gathered from your first post that you have the headers in your posession... stock exhaust manifold gaskets are like $5, and the dead soft aluminum collector gaskets run 15-20.