Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Manifold Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Dec 19, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Ok so I took my manifold off to change the gaskets. I started with the doughnut that goes to the exhaust. I've beatend grinded and heated what lookes like a gasket but feels more like it is part of the manifold. Did I just ruin my manifold. These haven't been off in over 10 years. Also he gaskets that were on there or lack there of look individulal to each cylinder. The ones I got from NAPA look like they are one piece. Did they give me the right ones. These are the original manifolds and they have never been off. Do you know how dirty a motor gets after 20+ years. HOLY CRAP. I guess it will be new valve cover, rear seal and oil pan gaskets for christmas. Of course then it will need a rebuild!!! HA HA Anyway thanks for your help. God I need this thing to run by friday!!!

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If the thing that you tortured was a metal ring that looks like a donut then you succesfully destroyed your down pipe or heat riser. The one piece gaskets that NAPA sell work okay but you have to notch it for the water temp sending unit sometimes on the drivers side head. The aluminized individual header style gaskets are the best I've run accross from NAPA. The donut that is on some of the Chevy's is a non replacable steel ferrel and seat type that is fussy about not being warped, bent, tortured, dinged, danged, tweeked, or molested in anyway or it will leak for the rest of it's miserable life. Chances are NAPA sold you a pretty little blue or tan colored donut that goes on most applications but you have the fussy one by the sounds of it.

Now, on the other hand there are a set of manifolds out there that have a flat washer like thing a ma bob on it where the donut goes that requires a donut to be expanded and fit on to it. The donut will have a groove cut out of the center circumfrance (<---spelling) and you are supposed to majically be able to get the hard, non plyable donut to seat over it with it breaking, chipping, warping, or getting f'd up in any way, sort, or form. How that happens is beyond my knowledge. I think the way it is done is as secrete as the recipe for Pepsi.

Anyway good luck and remember one thing, all exhaust work always sucks,

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Yes I must have the one you cannot replace. Well then off to NAPA I go. Hope they have it in stock. I am trying to leave tomorrow.

Shane

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)