Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust manifold spreader?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Jul 20, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Am I crazy, or have I seen these before?

The problem is getting the warped a$$ mannies put back on after the head swap. I need to gain about 1/8th of an inch.

Ideas /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, there is such a tool as exhaust manifold spreaders, but they are best used when placed onto the manifolds, before the manifolds are removed...and not after. For a V8 engine you will need four of them.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thanks....Any ideas on what to do now, without having used them first?

4. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

buy a set and spread em . u can use them after they r off . mac tools sells them or any parts store can get them

Kevin

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

snap on tool, and Matco tools carry the same tool, I looked at mine and it does not have a part #, think it is generic, I bought it from snapon. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Something to search for tonight.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Anyplace local????

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You could put the manifolds in a wood stove or gas grill and get them nice and hot--you'll need good gloves to handle them after,but the bolts will go right in!.I did this during a motor swap and was pressed for time,seemed everthing that could go wrong did--I was putting new studs in the manifolds,had to remove them to drill out the old broken studs,then they wouldnt bolt back up--I got very angry and put them in the wood stove I had going for heat,figuring the heat would expand them--it worked! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess nothing beats the right tools,but necessity is the mother of invention,as they say-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

any carquest or napa should have them.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif They are always closed when I need them most....

The long pry bar and a helper did the trick....
    Cracked the windshield while sitting by it pushing on said bar /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif