Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust manifold stud ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Oct 14, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of installing my vette manifolds on my 350.
    The studs in the HELP section don't fit - the size on the box (3/8-16) is not what the studs actually are.
    SO I found some in the hardware store and they installed like butter (new manifold and new stud.)
    So the question is....
    ARe you supposed to tighten the studs down? Or just install them snug? They installed all the way and look like they should, but am I now supposed to tighten it some more (stretch the threads a little)?
    If I seem a little anal about this, it is with good reason. I'd never had an exhaust on my 76 or my 73 that didn't leak AND get loose at the axhaust manifold collector. Once I have these installed, I'll take them to a muffler shop that will warrantee that there will be no leaks and be a happy camper.
    -- Mike

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Put two nuts on it and tighten the outside nut to install them. You want them tight enough to not come out if you decided to remove the manifold. Rust and heat pretty much make sure it never works that way though.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Using either double, or one large *brass* nut, instead of steel will make breaking studs (and thus needing to remove them) history. : )