Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust manifold?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Mar 28, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

My engine is sounding really loud lately. I smell exhaust coming from within the engine compartment and when I give it gas it gets louder. sounds like i have glass packs or something. is this serious? can it wait a while before getting fixed?

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You have a exhaust leak somewhere. Try the manifold bolt's...TIghten them up.

You can check out my rig right here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Check that heat riser/stove thing on the passneger side manifold. Maybe it got disconnected. I'm sure if you had a small exhaust leak you would be saying something about a ticking noise.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

When my manifolds leaked it sounded like it was mentioned a ticking noise. Like when you were a kid and put playing cards in the spokes....unless it's making that noise I'd go with 90K5 said with the riser/stove......

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

5. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

Another common thing to check for is a crack in the manifold. The sound will be fairly noticeable just revving the motor, but should be way more pronounced with the motor under a load, like driving down the street. I say this because you said it sounded like you had glass packs, which to me would be little louder than a small leak like a gasket. If it is cracked, you should be able to spot it fairly easily. I hope this helps.

Stupid hurts

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Yeah, come to think about it, it sounds like a ticking noise. and under load it is louder. i will look during daylight and see, but i looked today and it was hard to see anything. sounds like it is coming from the right side....

[​IMG]

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The right side small block exhaust manifolds are notorious for cracking. You can weld them, but they won't last...been there done that. Just bite the bullet and buy a new one from GM, about $140 or so. If you get a used one, it could only be a week away from cracking!! Good luck.

ken

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 87's pass side manifold cracked and made noise like this. I would say cracked manifold.

9. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

Depending on what you want to do w/ your rig, I would just go ahead and buy headers for it. For what you'll spend for a new manifold for one side, you can buy a good set of headers.Of course since your headers will come down a bit further than your manifolds, you will probably need to get some exhaust work done, especially if you want to run duals and don't already have them. Just something to keep in mind, compare the overall cash needs before you it, because you may be able to find a manifold cheap somewhere. Good luck.

Stupid hurts

10. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

Got the same problem but on the drivers side makes lots of ticking noise under load. Getting ready to pull it apart check to see if it is gasket or cracked. I will let you know. Jeff 80Blazer

Its time to lock them in!

11. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the donut between the manifold and the exhaust pipe?

12. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I currently have crack in my RH exhaust manifold under the heat exchanger sheetmetal. I located it using a length of heater hose. Just put one end to your ear and use the other end to probe for the location of the sound. My leak is dead center under the sheetmetal. If you look closely at the PIC, you can see traces of exhaust coming out the left side of the sheetmetal.

[​IMG]

Good luck finding your leak. I'm picking up a replacement manifold for my truck this weekend.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

It is funny. When she heats up she goes away but when cold it is pretty loud. I am going to get headers in the future but what do I have to worry about? I can live with the noise...it sounds kinda cool. Anything that can harm my truck with it being cracked??

[​IMG]

14. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

If the crack gets bad enough and especially in cold weather on deceleration cold air can enter combustion chamber and warp valve. It is worth looking in to. Jeff 80Blazer

Its time to lock them in!

15. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Since the sound is louder when it's cold, and then gets quieter when it warms up, makes me 99% sure your exhaust manifold is cracked. Mine does the same thing. With the hot and cold cycling, the crack will get bigger. I first noticed the loud exhaust sound about a month ago. I drive my K5 daily and it has gotten twice as loud over the last 2 weeks. It is now approaching that embarrasing level which is why I am replacing mine this weekend. You could let yours go for a while, but don't expect it to last more than a few months. Also, keep a window cracked to keep fresh air circulating in your interior. Carbon Monoxide could be entering thru the firewall. You may smell some exhaust, but Carbon Monoxide by itself is odorless. The major symptom of Carbon Monoxide poisoning is getting tired or sleepy. Hope this helps you with your decision.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".