Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust mods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 28, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I know this is going to grind against everybody who LOVES the flowmasters, and the absolute loudest exhaust they can find.

I was posting a while back trying to figure out the best way to calm down my exhaust system. I have a son who is autistic, and he seems to have devoloped a sensitivity issue when it comes to my loud exhaust.

I was running hooker headers, true duals with flow master 40 series (old ones), no cats, and boom tubes. I was very concerned with maintaining performance or improving it. I felt if I went to something quieter it would ineviatably hurt performance.

I resolved to taking off the boom tubes, and ordering some Gibson mufflers to change out the flowmasters. Man, talking about taming a beast! even with the headers, no cats, and dual exhaust I still can't hardly hear the thing now. Best of all it seems to have helped my low end torque, compression breaking, and other performance aspects have not changed.

man, if you want a great performing exhaust system, but don't want to put up with the noise then put some gibson mufflers on there!

I think a BB will be awesome with this setup (someday when my ship comes in)

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah the Gibson on my truck is pretty nice... lots of torque and sounds nice all around. But I want this baby to roar.... [​IMG] The louder the better! But for anyone that wants to go single or keep quiet the Gibsons are great

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I have Gibsons too. They rumble a little but sound good. Not too loud. I try to talk to my passengers sometimes ya know.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Not too loud. I try to talk to my passengers sometimes ya know.

<hr></blockquote>

LOL, yea my 40 series kinda made this a bit hard. [​IMG]

anyway, they are gonna be on capt's truck pretty soon.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]