Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust/muffler options?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the exhaust sucks on my cucv. looks like several places are dented in and the mufflers are shot (sounds like crap). what size exhaust tubing should i use for a little extra power and better sound? and what kind of mufflers should i use? i was considering glass packs only because they're small in diameter and probably wont get crunched on rocks as easily, but i'm not sure how they'll sound. anyone using glass packs?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I run the Walker dual stock replacement pipes ( 2 1/4) into Flowmaster 40s. It is loud when on the gas hard but not to bad when cruising. This is on my tow rig so the stock low exhaust routing isn't a big worry. I know the flowmasters will take a beating as I run them on the jeep and the burban and both of those have been dragged in the rock fluantly. The ones on the suburban are dented up pretty good but no holes yet.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've ran dual 2.25" glass packs, dual 2.25" turbos, and currently dual 2.5" 40-series Flows.......I thought they all sounded pretty good and comparable to a gas big-block with the same mufflers (most people make the comment they didn't realize it was a diesel).

The Flows sound the best for a pure performance sound, but are a little loud inside the cab with some resonation. I don't have any carpet or insulation in the cab and no tailpipes (just ends at the mufflers) which doesn't help, but it's a trail-only vehicle that gets trailered.

The turbo's (Rino brand) had a nice deep sound and very little interior noise....that was with the thick factory insulation, carpert, and tailpipes.

The glasspacks were okay, but the tone changed pretty quickly....I think the packing got sooted up by the diesel and it started sounding real raspy after about a year or so.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've ran dual 2.25" glass packs, dual 2.25" turbos, and currently dual 2.5" 40-series Flows.......I thought they all sounded pretty good and comparable to a gas big-block with the same mufflers (most people make the comment they didn't realize it was a diesel).

The Flows sound the best for a pure performance sound, but are a little loud inside the cab with some resonation. I don't have any carpet or insulation in the cab and no tailpipes (just ends at the mufflers) which doesn't help, but it's a trail-only vehicle that gets trailered.

The turbo's (Rino brand) had a nice deep sound and very little interior noise....that was with the thick factory insulation, carpert, and tailpipes.

The glasspacks were okay, but the tone changed pretty quickly....I think the packing got sooted up by the diesel and it started sounding real raspy after about a year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah glasspacks are made for gas which doesn't soot up as much.
    I knew a guy that made some glass packs for diesels, he made the holes much bigger so they don't get plugged up. His mufflers lasted as much as the non galvanized steel he used to make them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. bigmatt

bigmatt Registered Member

I have 2 1/4 pipe to a pair of 40 series Flowmasters on my CUCV. It sounds pretty good. It is a little loud when you get on it, but not to bad crusing. Well, I can't hear the exhaust while crusing over all other noises.

6. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the input, i didnt think about the soot problem, but makes sense.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

It does sound good. If I didnt hear it start up... I would have bet money that it wasnt a diesel.

8. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I run 3" exhaust pipe with a set of 70 series flowmasters. Just loud to sound tough and quiet enough to talk on a cell phone. Really sounds like a big block.