Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust noise?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 19Jimmy87, Jun 14, 2002.

1. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

While sitting in park, when I rev the engine, I get a popping, crackling sound when I let off the gas.
    I was told that I have a hole in my exhaust. Is this right or is there something else I should be concerned
    with. I have no fluid leaks, that I know of. Thanks
    Patrick

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What type of mufflers do you have? Do you only get the popping sound when you let of the gas? If you had an exhaust leak you would hear a distinct popping noise all the time

3. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

It is only when I let off the gas. It is still a stock muffler from 87. It will be changed on 4 of July Weekend.
    I just wanted to know if that was the problem, or if I should wait on the exhaust and fix something else.
    Thanks

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If you have glasspacks, sometimes they do that. I've had an exhaust leak that only showed up (backfiring) when I let off the gas. You just need to get under there and look for a hole. Common places are where the pipes are welded and after the muffler or cat. You might get a mirror that you can put on the otherside of the pipe so you can see better.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i got 5 bucks on it being your catalitic converter goin out! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Could be one of your air injection ports. Go get headers, this fixes everything. Soon to be for sale (after august) Doug Thorley tri-y's for a small block chevy 4x4, with air injection and self made o2 sensor hole. Stupid CA smog laws /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I love that cackle when you throw it up to 4 grand and let off the throttle. I was tuning my secondaries today and did lots of getting thrown back in the seat and little cackle when comming down.