Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust on a 72' Pontiac Ventura

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MilpitasK5, May 2, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Exhaust on a 72\' Pontiac Ventura

It has a 350 but it sounds like a 4 banger b/c it's all stock. I don't have any money to put into it for exhaust, headers, 4bbl carb or anything.
    I don't plan on doing much with it b/c it's in really good condition.

If I just cut off the cats and mufflers, will it be a little louder or will it sound stupid??

Thanks,
    Chris

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Exhaust on a 72\' Pontiac Ventura

a little louder? it will be unbareable. My buddy and i did that to his 90 GMC V6 astro van when the cat became clogged and well that was crazy loud. Everyone within a 1/4 mile heard you coming and stared. Imagine a 350! Besides that you will lose a good bit of backpressure and likely performance. Might sound stupid sometimes vehicles sound dumb open header. Why not just spend a few bucks(40 at most) on a new turbo muffler? May not be a flowmaster but tis better than stock.

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Good idea. If they're that cheap, maybe I will. I think some Hedman Headers are pretty cheap too. It's not gonna be a hot rod or anything. I just want everyone to know it's a 350. Plan on cruising it when my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is on jack stands! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

1972 shouldn't have a cat. Is it a single, or dual exhaust system ??? I would think single. A glasspack should run you under $20.00 . Glasspacks from Jeg's

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

A Pontiac 350 will sound mean as hell with a set of headers and a true dual system. I had a 75 Firebird with a 350 and Dynomax headers and header glasspacks and it was unbearable, but sounded mean as hell. On my 79 TA I'm running Dynomax headers back to a h-pipe and then to two 40-series Flowmasters and dumping it out the back in the stock location. Should be badass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your exhaust is about the same I am gonna do on the 69 350. Heddman headers though. Should be nice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On my 73 Camaro with the megabuilt 383 stroker I had Hooker headers into a pair of Purple Horney header mufflers. Talk about unbearable but sounding mean as hell !!!!!

8. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I think anything 72 or newer if it was equipped with an automatic, it had cats. Anyone else know for sure?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think anything 72 or newer if it was equipped with an automatic, it had cats. Anyone else know for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]1975 was the year of the cats if memory serves me correctly. I had a 74 Monte Carlo with a 350 motor and a automadic transmission that was not factory equiped with a cat. Bought it from my uncle that was the original owner. He kept it all original.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yep, 75 was the first year for cats.

11. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

Sorry, brain fart. It was 72 that the hp ratings switched from flywheel to hp at the tires. That's correct, isn't it? I had a 72 t-bird that didn't have cats, I guess my memory is going.