Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5_73, Feb 12, 2001.

1. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

I need to buy some headers soon, so that I can get my K5 tagged. I was needing some input on some good/cheap headers for the stick shift models, and some good mufflers. I also wanted input on the tubing size (2.5" or 3"). I'm leaning towards the Flowtech regular series since they don't make the Afterburners for my stick, and some dual chamber Flowmasters for the mufflers. I'm thinking about just going w/ the 2.5" tubing, to help out torque. All opinions appreciated.

Stupid hurts

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm really lookng at Doug Thorley's.
    I think it's dougsheaders.com or something like that.
    -- Mike

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

3" tubing is good for a single exhaust, but too big for full dual. For a dual exhaust, you will probably want 2 1/4" - 2 1/2". 2 Chamber Flowmasters will be really loud, which is fine if that's what you want. There is a common misconception that FlowMaster makes about 2 mufflers: 2-chamber and 3-chamber. They really make at least a dozen different models, each with different configurations for different vehicles. It's usually best to do some research on what is available, but it's best if you can find a truck the same length as yours with an exhaust sound that you like. Flowmasters and duals are already a proven formula on Blazers, though. Remember that Flowmasters don't actually flow the best, they are just tuned for a good sound. It depends on what you want.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

4. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting the Dynomax-Blackjacks, w/ 1 5/8" primaries and 3" collectors. I painted them Flat Aluminum, so they look great. I'll be getting the 2.5" pipes, but still haven't decided on the mufflers. Again, thanx for the help, and hopefully I"ll be doing the HEI and the 14bolt/44HD swap in the next week or so, depending on how crappy the weather is.

Stupid hurts

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would run 2.5" duals and Flowmasters.

The last time I spoke wiht Flowmaster, they said 3" was to big for duals on a somewhat stock 350 and it was even too big for single exhaust.. The single exhaust issue puzzled me..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

I have a 73 350 convert. I was always told 2chamber flowmaster would be to loud. NOT. I have Doug thorley tri y's going to 2chamber flowmasters 21/4 true dual out behind rear of tires.Love it.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm running dual 2 1/4 and glasspacks and their louder than my neighbors p/u with 2 chamber flowmasters, especially when the secondarys open up on the highway [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."