Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Placement In Relation To Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I was donking around Pirate and I happened upon a post about moving gas tanks on Toys. Seems that someone had problems with the exhaust vapor locking (vapo rubbing, vader darthing) and whatnot the motor from exhaust heat.

My mufflers are going to be running 2"-3" below my gas tank, should I be worried about that? The rest of the mufflers are open to air.

Anywhooooooo

Oh and if it is too hot, can I run some sort of heat shield?

[​IMG]

There's the muffler, they're snugged up to the frame, the tank iwll be sitting on 2" stock and some rubber strips.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The gas tank should be fine, just run some heat shields. I picked some nice aluminum ones up from Summit that were made to fit my Flowmasters. Usually vapor lock happens in fuel lines or the carb, I've never heard of the tank getting vapor lock, there's too much fuel in there to get all of it that hot.

3. Resurrection_Joe

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You're welcome.

Just smear some extra heavy duty mayonnaise on the bottom of the tank, it'll work like a champ. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

I need to go dig that thing out of my K5 and send it to you

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Theoretically*, if you raise the temperature of the fuel in the tank, you also raise the temperature of the fuel traveling in the lines.

Once it gets to the engine bay though, that more-warm-than-in-a-stock-setup fuel might become TOO hot, and *then* you'd have a problem with vapor lock. Since the pickup is at the bottom of the tank, possiblity of vapor affecting it right there is pretty slim. You'd have to be boiling the gas to make it a problem. (Only seen that in a lawn mower lol)

I doubt it's likely to cause any problems, but the fuel tank does a pretty good job of supplying "cool" fuel to the engine.