Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust prices

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 11, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I had to have a new muffler and tailpipe put on my daily driver (Monte Carlo) today so I just went to a cheapo Rapid Muffler. While I was there I thought, just for fun, I could ask the guy about an estimate to do stuff on my Blazer. I already have a hook-up for custom exhaust stuff, but I was just curious what the "average" shop would charge. It blew my mind. I laughed in the guys face until I realized he wasn't kidding about the price. Here it is. My Blazer is a legal dual exhaust with stock manifolds and no emissions anything. All I want them to do is run 2.25 inch pipe from the manifolds to my new Flowmasters they would install. The mufflers are already paid for so all I'm paying them for is a few feet of pipe and labor for hanging it and a couple bends...tailpipes are already there...nothing else. The dude said for that $380!!!!! Is it just me or is that highway robbery? Something to ponder. Boy am I happy I have another place to go.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Thank GOD I have buddies that work at MIDAS. Got my duals for $ 125 installed. 2.25 aluminized from manifolds to tailpipes with cali. turbo mufflers. THAT guy musta been stoned when he quoted you 380.Always trying to get their hands in our pockets.

3. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

once i took a hot rod into my local shop and all i wanted was a tune up it ended up being 811.00 they tried to screw me so hard. i said id be back to pay and came back that night and repossed my hot rod from their back lot. he he on them

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats terrible, but I'm not surprised. I just can't believe so many people pay those prices and don't question it.
    I just thought of another good example. Midas gave me a $550 estimate for some brake work on my old '79 Blazer once. I took it to another shop that used some rebuilt stuff and for $100 the brakes were still perfect when I sold it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad