Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust problems- said it was header collectors-+++UPDATE+++

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 21, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

As you may have read, my truck has a true dual exhaust put on a few years ago, by the previous owner (happens to be a friend of mine)... I know from riding in it back then, that the floor on the passanger side, behind the front seat gets pretty darn hot. Hot enough to melt sole's of shoes....so he tells me that the header collector was put on wrong on that side, flairs in instead of out- or out instead of in, but either way, thats what he says the problem is. So I pick them up today- to have them fixed...and after I see what they are, I'm wondering..okay the header collector is right off the headers..there is about 2 feet of pipe then the catalytic converters...right above the cat is where the floor is getting HOT....am I not looking at the right thing? I didn't notice any part that looked like what I had in my hand other than right off the headers. I don't think that something 2 feet away can be making such a problem. And this is with a 3" body lift. Is a header collector right after the header- or is it right before the cat? It seems to me that the cat is causing all the heat...???It's only the pass side. not the driver's

aren't you guys glad my truck is home and running so I can ask all the questions??? HEHEHEHE

++++update+++++
    I found the receipt for the exhaust work. luckily the previous owner gave me everything. I called the place that put it on, and explained what was going on. He does not believe that a heatsheild is needed- with the body lift, it should not radiate that far up...and the driver's side doesnt have one. He thinks its the convertor...like you all do. He said the truck is in his computer, and the exhaust was done in 99, it's still covered under the 5 year warranty the convertor had, so he will replace it if it needs to be done. I am hopefully getting the truck inspected on Saturday afternoon, and can bring it down to him Tuesday. He said not a problem etc... it was the ONLY thing that happened right so far today!..I'll know for sure what it is on Tuesday.

thanks guys
    Brandy

2. diezel11

diezel11 Registered Member

Re: exhaust problems- said it was header collectors- but I dont??

sounds like the cat is clogged
    a clogged cat will glow cherry red

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

So after driving it for awhile, I can just look under there and see it...is that what you mean? I'm sorry for being so damn ignorant....Truck isn't running to good, I was hoping to get the exhaust fixed FIRST, then run it around and see if I can clear out some of the bugs...(on top of the hornets that made a nest in my tailgate )...Maybe I should do the plugs/wires cap etc... first, then drive it enough to get it to heat up..it wont' take to long- about 20 minutes, and the floor is hot enough where you don't want to touch it.

thanks!
    Brandy

4. diezel11

diezel11 Registered Member

only a few actually glow but defianately sounds like your problem
    clogged cat makes it run terrible and get very hot i eliminated them all together

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, I didn't do this exhaust myself- however, here in VT, they frown upon no cats, actually they frown on dual cats when your only suppose to have 1--but eh- who cares ...sounds like I'll be returning the header collectors tomorrow, and getting appt for a new cat...thanks!
    Brandy

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Brandy I had the same problem on mine about 10 years ago. Here was my problem. No heat shield on the passenger side since it was origanaly a singel exhaust Blazer and the timing was a little off which made the exhaust real hot.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No heat sheild was my first thought also. Catalytic convertors can run as high as 1200 degrees. You need something between the cat and the floor to deflect the heat. A heat sheild is a piece of sheet metal between the cat and the floor. I bet the left side has one and the right doesn't thats why the floor gets hot on the right side. A buddy of mine melted his carpet over where the cat was.When he put dual exhaust on without a heat sheild on the passenger side.
    Unless you have over 60,000 miles on the cat or your truck has been running bad for a long time I dont think its a plugged cat.
    Put on a heat sheild and Tune it up before you get the cat replaced.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Whenever my cat gets plugged, I feed it some ex-lax.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, catalytic converters get really hot when they are working right. But.... if your engine is running rich, they will get hotter than they are supposed to. If your engine is not running right, you may want to try to diagnose and correct that problem first.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

It may be simply that the converter is fine but it's too close to the floorboard and has NO heat shield. My truck had that problem, on the passenger side, and I put a diamond plate aluminum heat shield there. Problem solved. My driver's side has one from the factory...........

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the truck is running bad, you *might* be able to just hold a piece of paper over the pipe (on either side) when its idling, and "compare" how much exhaust is coming out of either side. Yes, thats a very crude test, and not real accurate, but if the cat is completely plugged, or very plugged, you WILL see the difference.

Cats do need heat shields, thats why the trucks had them. Even my truck with a diesel (and no cat of course) got heat shields for the pipes. They do get extremely hot, but you could be dealing with two problems combined to make one very bad problem. If it was lack of a cat heat shield alone that was the issue, why wouldn't both sides get so hot?