Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust problems with a doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Apr 16, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

What exhaust problems have you seen/expereinced/heard of with the ORD doubler and no body lift?

I'm under there looking and it doesn't look like it will work. Do i just chop it and leave it for the exhaust shop to fix?

Any help apprecaited.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no one?

3. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I just used a stock y pipe that went down the drivers side and widened its throat to match a 3 inch tube. I put in a 3 inch hi flow cat and a magnaflow 3 inch muffler. I am very impressed with how well it breathes. I think it is better then my true dual 2.25 with cheap turbo mufflers. I hardly had to bend at all. I just had an exhaust shop bend me 1 "S" bend for behind the muffler so that I could run it up and out to exit directly below the frame between the gas tank and the stock exhaust hanger on the frame there. I removed the bump stops and the middle of the 'S' runs directly through where the middle of the the bump stop bracket used to be. I flanged both the muffler and cat with 3/8 inch thick 3 bolt collector flanges so I can remove both with just 6 bolts apiece. Could send you some pics in a couple of days if you want. Hope this helps.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

can you still pull the transmission? the way i go through trans. it has to be able to be moved. also I am running headers...

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

See Zakk, I told you. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't listen to me though. The 3" single exhaust down the driver side like I told you is the ticket to your troubles. Now I know it is going to cost you but then again, what hasn't? Rita gave you the go ahead on the whole doubler deal and if it means new exhaust then so be it.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

but on top of that, I don't really want a 3". the way I go through transmissions is flat out scary. I don't want to be having my exhaust redone each time I blow a transmission.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but on top of that, I don't really want a 3". the way I go through transmissions is flat out scary. I don't want to be having my exhaust redone each time I blow a transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Another reason why you need to toss that damn slushbox /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    hehehe......more coffee

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well Zakk, if you think you need to drop the exhaust just to replace a tranny then you are having the wrong guy do your exhaust. I have a single 3" exhuast down the driver side and it does not interfere with removing my tranny or T-case. Besides, I also had the muffler shop put in a flange so I could remove a portion of exhaust if I ever needed too.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 3" single and it isn't even close to the tranny, the passenger side goes forward and wraps around (underneith) the shallow part of the oil pan where it connects with the drivers side and goes back.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I suspect his problem is long headers where the collector is past the bell housing. With shorty headers it should be possible to clear the tranny with the Y pipe. I just want to find a way to run the exhaust down the outside of the frame, there is just too much crap inside...

11. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have the pics. for you but I need your ee-mail address.

12. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

Pulling the tranny is not a problem, used stock exhaust manifolds and a stock y pipe. the exhaust does not interfere at all with the tranny or t/cases. 3 inch for a single exhaust is just fine, and on my truck is a very clean install. The whole setup cost me about $120. I could have done it for about $90 but I bought about 8 feet of 3 inch exhaust tubing that I don't need (did not use), so if you need it let me know.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pulling the tranny is not a problem, used stock exhaust manifolds and a stock y pipe. the exhaust does not interfere at all with the tranny or t/cases. 3 inch for a single exhaust is just fine, and on my truck is a very clean install. The whole setup cost me about $120. I could have done it for about $90 but I bought about 8 feet of 3 inch exhaust tubing that I don't need (did not use), so if you need it let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was messing around with the cut pipe, and I think i can make it work with duals. i'm going to try to get the rig down to a exhaust shop tomorrow morning after I get the shift linkage problems figured out.