Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust question...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jarheadk5, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Is a Flowmaster muffler (40-series I think) OK for use behind a N/A 6.2?

I know it's not the optimum solution, but I'm gonna need an exhaust system to pass inspection & emissions. Can't (legally...) drive the vehicle in PA without insp. & emiss., so I can't get it to a muffler shop (legally...). Flowmaster is the only company I can think of that has a bolt-on exhaust system for the K5 that's not uber-expensive... so it seems to be a decent solution to the dilema.

Opinions?

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

if all you need is a muffler - pick one up at the bone yard. run biodiesel and you'll pass emissions with absolutely no problem. you can locate places to buy biodiesel by looking it up online. just make sure it's real biodiesel, not straight veggie oil.

3. levib

levib Registered Member

I dont know if it helps in your state, but I live in arizona and didnt even run mufflers through emmisions, just pipe. Dynomax has an a bolt on exaust for a k5 which i purchased on summit.com for around $100.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for the replies...

In PA we don't have emissions for diesels, especially the older ones. This may change, but right now it's not an issue.

I won't pass PA inspection without a muffler; well, let me rephrase that - if the vehicle is "too loud", the inspector isn't gonna pass it. I understand a straight-piped 6.2 is loud as hell, so I'm not even gonna try that.

I'll have to look at the Dynomax kit - cheap is good right now...

5. levib

levib Registered Member

Yeah, the straight pipe exaust is almost painfuly loud at high rpms on my 6.2.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a single 2.5" 40 series Flowmaster on my Jimmy. the entire exhaust was scavenged and pieced togehter from junk exhaust that was lying around. At the time I had a budget of bubblegum and pocket lint and needed the truck up and running. Anyways, it may be all cut and welded together, and the muffler is guaranteed to be much smaller than ideal...but it runs quietly and the ysystem doesn't leak. so far it's lasted over 2 1/2 years.

If I can fit em under the truck I plan on running dual 3" Flow's someday soon.

Rene

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's my budget, too... but no bubblegum, just plain Wrigley's. :haha: :D

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

When I bought my Jimmy it had Flowmasters on it (40s i think). It still sounded pretty healthy, but should get you inspected. I run a single 70 now with a turbo; it's pretty quiet.