Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abvgrndsub, Aug 15, 2006.

1. abvgrndsub

abvgrndsub Registered Member

I need to replace my cat. and muffler on my 90 Suburban. My question is can I just replace the muffler and add the extra pipe or will the computer know theres no cat and give me problems? I dont have to smog my truck for a year so I dont want to put the cat till next spring. Could this cause any problems?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should be fine. It MAY run a bit lean. Just use Winaldl to check your BLM's. If they're all around 128 or below you'll be ok.
    I run mine like that at the moment and need to burn a chip as it's a bit on the lean side but I'm sure that has more to do with the motor build than the exhaust. Plus I'm running a straight through Borla 3" sportsman muffler.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It will run fine without a cat. The ECM of OBD 1 cars and trucks does not look for catalitic convertor operation like later obd2 does.
    I run my 89 TBI with a muffler where the cat used to be and a dump right after the muff.