Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84 K5 4x4, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I have dual exhaust running straight out the back with tips on my k5 and when the back glass is down exhaust fumes pour in. Is there a solution to this problem without adding a wing on top. :confused:

84 k5 350/465/205/14ff detriot 10b open 4.56

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Do what the cool kids do (me :p:) and dump it at the axle or just over it if you like your rear-end clean (:confused:). Take the :hack: to your exhaust and you'll be :thumb:.

3. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

My Blazer was the same way, So I Put new mufflers on and turned them out in front of the back tires. This fixed the exhaust problem, but it's very very loud!!!!

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Very Very load is what im looking for:D:D:D

5. bigblazer87

Yeah, but isn't that how we like it? I know I like waking up the cops from their afternoon nap with the sound of a 350 singin' through a 3" high-flow cat and a Flowmaster Super 40 accompanied by buzzing 39.5" Swampers... (Me=>:blush: :yikes:) (:deal: <= Cop)

6. Elevator Man

Yeah, but isn't that how we like it?
    I bought some used mufflers off of E-bay for $15. I don't know what kind they are, I know they're not Flowmasters. I used 2 1/4" pipe for the 305 and they pop really bad like glasspacks. I wish I would have put 3" on the back side of the muffs!

7. bigblazer87

Well, if it's a true dual set-up (i.e. no H-pipe or X-pipe), it'll pop a little, but if it's popping a lot, you've got some nasty backpressure issues. Put in an H-pipe (really simple; shouldn't cost more than $50 bucks at a reputable exhuast shop), and if that doesn't fix it, get some different mufflers.

Mine's got a custom 2.5" y-pipe going into a 3" cat and Super 40 out dual 2.5" turn-downs. Made a big difference with the power and smile-factor of my :k5:.

8. Chrisblazzer89

I have true dual on my 350Sb In my blazer and it doesn't pop at all. Is this OK?

9. Elevator Man

10. bigblazer87

Yeah, that's perfectly fine. It's just the style muffler you have on it. Some pop with backpressure variances, some don't. Higher quality ones don't.

And Elevator Man, it's the style muffler you have that is making it pop a lot, but if I were you, I'd really consider having an H-pipe put in. It's much better to equalize the backpressure out the cylinders to promote better scavenging (i.e. power). Plus it'll have a bit of a deeper tone to it; not sound like two 4 cylinders firing off against each other. It's all about personal preference though...

11. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i would run it out the sides either behind the tires or before. that should stop your fumes

12. Elevator Man

bigblazer87, what would be better a H-pipe or a x-pipe or does it matter? I want a deep "Flowmaster" soud instead of the "glasspack" sound. If you look into the mufflers I have you can see a pipe with little holes all through it. i guess they are like a turbo muffler. I don't mind the loud I just don't like the pop!!!

13. bigblazer87

An X-pipe would be best, but with the short wheelbase of the Blazer, it might be hard to fit one in. If that's the case with your's, just go with an H-pipe, it'll work nearly as well. If you want a Flowmaster sound, you'll have to pony up for some Flowmaster mufflers (because those glasspack "Turbo" mufflers will never come close to a Delta style muffler), or you can get them cheap used off eBay or sometimes from the muffler shop (my muffler guy always has some spare ones around).

14. Elevator Man

I know I'll never get the "flow" sound I'm just saying that I want a deeper tone instead of the poping sound. I've had flowmasters on about 4 trucks and a few with glasspacks. does it matter where I mount the H-pipe? How far back?

15. bigblazer87

You'll want to mount the H-pipe about halfway between your headers and your mufflers. If you get me some undercarriage shots, I can show you a good spot to put it for the best clearance and performance.:waytogo: But if you take it to a good exhaust shop and tell 'em what you're looking for, they'll know what to do and how to do it the right way. Try to find a guy who's been doing it for a long time on his own; I try to support my fellow hobbyists before the big businesses.;)

16. Elevator Man

I do all my own muffler work, my family owns a fabrication shop. I work on Elevators but I have full acess to our shop, we have 2 two post lifts and two four post lifts. I,ve just been trying out the cheapest route. I'm just to tight to pay $80 dollars a piece for flowmasters.

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm actually running four mufflers. True duals with a flowmaster and a glasspack on each side.

Before I added the glasspacks, I had to drive with earplugs. :eek1:

18. Elevator Man

What about 800 hp to push the exhaust out?????

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It's less restrictive than a single exhaust with a catalytic converter, which is what it came with from the factory.

Glasspacks don't make very much restriction. :rolleyes:

20. Chrisblazzer89

Yea I have true dual flowmasters no X or H pipe and no poping ever! Should i still go se if they can install an X or H pipe to make a deeper tone?