Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm runnin single right now with a 350 and I wanna go dual. I'm thinking about runnin 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 Dynomax, but what is the purpose of a H or Y pipe?

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Balances the pulses between the two pipes. This reduces noise and creates more power.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

which would be the better pipe H or Y or does it really matter, and what would be a good size pipe to run...2 1/2 or 2 1/4? I'm gonna replace from stock manifold to rear.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A y pipe is generally used on single exhaust, it brings the exhaust from the two cylinder banks into one tube. The H pioe is used on dual applications. There are X pipes too, but they're hard to do on a 4x4 becaiuse of the limited space available. I'd go with 2.25" pipe over 2.5, unless your enging is worked over pretty well, like 350+ HP. The smaller pipe will help keep the torque meaty in the lower RPM range.</font color>

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

2.25 pipe will work, cause I've just got a stock 350 right now, want to eventually put in at least a RV cam.

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Do you mean X-pipe? The X-pipe is just another version of the H-pipe that works better. Problem is it's VERY hard to find room under a 4x4 to have them come together and split back out with out them being crushed from hanging too low. A Y-pipe is what you have on there now more than likely. It takes both sides and makes it into one pipe and then all the way out. I believe that you can do dual 2 1/4 into a 3" single pipe (Y) and not have any restrictions because they flow the same. My personal preference is true dual's. I hope to be putting an H-pipe on my blazer soon. As for Pipe Diameter I have 2 1/4 on one of my trucks and 2 1/2 on the other. I like both. Some will say that one or the other will make more power but I believe that the 2 1/4 would be better for a 4x4 because it will make more power on the bottom end and less on the top end. I hope this helps you some.

James

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Sorry to repeat. I'm just a slow typer /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

lol...i'm a slow typer also!