Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigtruck87, Jul 6, 2003.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

ok i will be buying the edelbrock t.e.s. headers for my truck but before i order them i have a couple of questions.

1. What lenth header bolts do i need? i'm going to try and use the new style that breslin makes. the one with the little allen head screw in the middle to make that locking. but they offer them in both 3\4 and 1 in long and i dont know which i need.

2. what kind of gaskets do i need square port or round port? maybe that is a dumb question but i have no clue so any help would be nice. also any suggestion on brand of gasket so i dont buy something that sucks and have it blow?

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

1) I would go with 1", the flanges on the TES headers are like 1/4" thick, so 3/4" would probably be too short and wouldnt give enough grip.

2) if its a SBC, get the square port gaskets.

-Oh and if I were you, I'd just buy some full length headers like the Hedman Elites. For the price of that TES setup, you could buy headers and a brand new exhaust system. But the TES headers are nice since they bolt right on. just my 2 cents.

3. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

i would like to buy cheaper headers, but i live in n.j. and the emissions are strict. so i need to keep the air injection. and as far as i know the only headers the let you keep the air injection are the edelbrock t.e.s. kinda sucks cause there expensive but i love my truck so what the hell. edelbrock t.e.s, 3in high flow cat, and 3in single piping.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You better check your sources again, hedman,doug thorley,and JBA make headers with both the o2 sensor and the A.I.R. injection. The JBA's are about $650 but the hedmans go for $265 from summitracing.I have the same problem here in california.

85' K5 3/4 ton 35" boggers,16.5x14 welds,9"lift big horse 406SB/corvette 700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The TES system comes with header bolts and all needed gaskets.
    I just used what came with mine. Have had them on over 4 years now with absulitly no leaks.. I just re torqued everything after about two weeks and I haven't layed a wrench on them since.

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I have always used stock manifild gaskets and and long as you keep an eye on the bolts and dont let them back out they will never blow out. Even if they do get loose they wont burn near as easy as the gaskets that come with the headers. Thats the cheap way out. If you want to spend lots of money go buy the copper ones. Personally Im cheap and i have never had the manifold gaskets blow out as long as I kept the bolts tight. As far as headers everyone elses suggestions are better than mine i dont live in an emissions county so i dont have to worry about it.