Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust routing questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Jun 4, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Tomorrow I am getting exhaust done on the jimmy. Since I am a poor boy I am putting on Turbos.

My question is where is best place to exit for least amount of fumes. I was debating between exiting in front of the tires since I will be doing lift and larger tires and it would be cheaper or behind the tire. Right now it is duals exiting out behind the tires and held by bailing wire. There is a lot of fumes that come into the cab.

Will exiting in front of the tires be better or worse? I am planning on turning the ends down and out to the side a little.

Thanks

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I first got my blazer it had duals behind the tires and I did not smell any fumes in side the cab. Now I have duals in front of the tires with no smell. If you are going to be doing lift and tires then I would go for i front of the tires.

3. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I want to go in front of the tires too. When I was a kid most hot rodders turned the tips down under the car! How did they make it out of the 70's?

From what I understand, it's the rear exits (straight back) that will most likely get sucked back into the cab ( low pressure zone behind the truck and poor seals/no top).

4. 70jimmy

Ok Just got back from the muffler shop. Guy did a nice job. All new hangers everything tucked up pretty tight, exits about 8 inches in front of the rear tires pointing down and out. Chrome tips for that extra low end torque, Yeah right!!

All in all looks and sounds good for $246.86 and even gave me a ride home from the shop and picked me up when it was done.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Got pics??

6. 70jimmy

Sorry no pics, No Digital camera. But then fathers day is coming HMMM!!!!!!!!!

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Straight out the back with 4 inch chrome exhaust tips and those little turbo things that JC Whitney sells. It looks cool and the added thrust can come in handy. If you did it right you can run two pipes out of the back and two out of the front so when you put it in reverse you get the thrust from the front pipes instead of the rear. JC Whitney sells the whole kit in chrome with either L.E.D. lights (various colors) or for a few bucks more neon lights (various colors). Don't tell anyone but word has it they are designing one for race cars now that faces straight up and provides extra down force therefore providing free extra traction for less wheel spin during rapid acceleration. The last one is still in the works though so don't tell anyone.

John