Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EXHAUST ROUTING

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Sep 12, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

While driving to work on Monday my tailpipe broke off right after the muffler. I took it to see a friend who custom builds exhausts and he told me I'll need a new muffler too. OK, so which Flowmaster will I want? Not looking for too loud but want flow for daily driving and towing.
    He has a 7 or 8 foot length of 2-1/2 inch stainless that I can have for the regular price. It wont be duals but at least its larger. Currently the truck has a 2-1/2 inch Y pipe reducing to a 2 inch muffler and tailpipe. This was on the truck when I bought it. There is no catalytic converter.
    Also, is there a place where this exhaust can dump and NOT flow into the back window when driving? This is a real drag in the summer when its hot and all I have is the door windows to cool the cab. Any help is appreciated.

2. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 w/ a TBI 350 ...I have 3" pipes and a Flowmaster 50 ...its pretty mild til you get on it ...then its pretty throaty ...but not obnoxiously....

hope this helps /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have mine routed behind the tires, just under the rear quarter panel. I had a bad exhaust "backflow" problem into the rear with the window down, until I opened the vents under the dash...some have them some don't..but it works for me.

It's 3" pipe- from the header's, through dual cats, to dual flowmaster 50's.....sounds perfect...has a low rumble at idle, but if you get after it, she gets nice and throaty--no BBBBBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT to it at all..

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Route the pipes out behind the rear tires at a 90 degree andle so they are long enough that they stick out about an inch from the body...this works on mine

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

behind the rear tires facing downward at at 45 degree angle out and back.

John

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Made mine so it dumps out infront of the rear tire, no fumes at all anymore.
    [​IMG]