Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust saga continues UPDATED NEW ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 23, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

for those of you that answered, is it worth my $$ to have the pipe's fixed..by doing I am going to have to basically redo the entire thing..like I said before, there is no leaks, the pipes are fine, and the only clamp that I can see is on the Cat...the others are all welded- with a very nice even bead I must say too...I am going to get the muffler replaced Tuesday,,
    I checked to find a heat shield- none on either side, I will discuss this with the muffler man- and have him put them on both sides... Would you "waste" the money having the exhaust messed with, or wait for something to need to be replaced.???

thanks!
    Brandy

first off the muffler on the passanger side- where the heat problem is- is 4 different colors in a large area- these are colors from it getting so hot..okay so I found the problem of the heat on the rear floor..easy enough to get a new muffler put on- no biggy--here's the BIG problem

I was looking over how he installed everything. its all tight, no leaks etc..however- here's as descriptive as I can get-

the header pipe's come down- into the header collector- via a gasket -- the next piece of pipe goes INSIDE the header collector- from there is the cat- the CAT pipe goes INSIDE the pipe infront of it- the muffler comes next- and that goes INSIDE the cat in front of it- then from the muffler is the tail pipe- which again is INSIDE the muffler....I'm thinking that all the pipes should be on the OUTSIDE of the pipe before it. so to speak - he has the females going into the males, when it should be male to female?

for instance, the header collector should go INSIDE the next pipe, the next pipe should go INSIDE the cat, etc...to me it is restricting the flow of the exhaust-air flows down- through the header, collector-- then travels into a smaller pipe- (which I know it has to be smaller)....but the smaller pipe is up inside the collector- which means that the air is not flowing smoothly, its getting pushed up agaist a smaller opening- but can also go around the smaller opening, and back itself up- trying to get out.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: exhaust saga continues- need your opinion on this one!

My pipes are installed on the outside(like you said in the bottom part of the post) but I don't think that having them installed backwards would create enough backpressure/turbluence to make your truck run like crap. I could be wrong though......

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I don't think it is causing ALL of the problems, the truck sitting for 2 years, has caused the majority of them...but my thinking is that if the pipe is short- there for not going in far beyond the weld..then its probably not a big deal- however if the pipe is 3-4 inches inside the one infront of it, it would cause the problems.

oh- the color of the muffler- is only on the bottom side- not the top- closest to the body...weird considering its getting hot enough to melt a shoe!

Brandy

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

or u could just hack it all off, run 3" straight pipes all the way out the back. Just a thought. its what i did.

NITRO

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

For some reason, I just don't think the good ol trooper's round here would appreciate that, along with the fact that I'm 1 3/4 " to high at bumper height, and my tires stick out about 2" to far ....just another reason for them to hassle me...

Brandy

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All of this for a street driven rig? Sounds like a lot of hassle to pound pavement.

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay your comment doesnt make sense to me...

Are you saying that because its run only on the street, it should run like sh*t, the exhaust should/could be totally wrong, and the rear floor should get hot enough to melt shoes?? How can that be hassle....? I have 2 kids that are going to be sitting in the back, and 1 of the is almost tall enough for her feet to hit the floor, should I just say- geee, I know you've "worked" hard helping me with the Blazer, but it's just too much hassle to make it safe enough for you to ride in? or better yet- What your saying is that my truck is not "worthy" of fixing correctly because its ONLY a pavement pounder???

I've stated before, I have no interest in dumping $$ and time into a vehicle to take it out in on the trails, or in the woods,(we have plenty of quad's and dirt bike's for that) and basically have to redo everything I have done. The truck has new GM doors, and fenders, gee I'd enjoy shelling out another $1200 just to get me 2 more doors... You may not be able to justify me doing all of this, but since it's my truck, and it's what I want it for, and I'm not sleeping next to you, you really don't have to....all I asked for was an opinion on the exhaust, not the opinion on whether or not you would do what I'm doing. Cut me some slack there buddy,

Brandy

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pictures of the melted shoes? That would be a neat one to look at. I also have to agree that the inside outside mounting shouldn't make that much difference. A clogged muffler would build more heat and do more performance damage escpecially if you have dualls and no crossover pipe.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think Bozo hit the nail on the head. With the muffler getting so hot I think that's your problem. A baffel inside may have broke loose and blocking the flow. This would cause a lot of back pressure on one side of the engine causing it to lope and not be able to get a good intake charge.
    Now one other thing about your floor heat. It sounds like your running dual exhaust. These trucks NEVER came with true dual. The exhaust only ran down one side and there will be a heat sheild on one side and not the other. Some of that heat transfer may be a result of no heat sheild. You can make a heat sheild easy enough with some sheet metal. Just look at whats on the one side and make something simulare on the other. Watch on the passenger side. The fuel lines run inside the frame rail. Might be a good idea to put a sheild anywhere the exhaust is close to those lines especialy where the rubber lines are about mid way down the frame. Heating the fuel can cause issues like vapor lock.
    As for the inside pipe thing. Well it may create a lip that would slow the ehaust floow but as long as your not sizing down from 3 inches to 1.5 along the way should be plenty of flow. Moste feel on true dual and a 350 that under 350hp 2 inches will flow plenty. If it is welded and you have no leaks at the connection that's a sign of a decent exhaust system. Clamps anywhere other than the Cat is usualy not that great. The exception is there are some good pre bent systems by the likes of Flowmaster and few others. These are designed for somebody to install in the driveway. They have good radius bends and the works but because the average shade tree may not have a welder they are made to clamp together.
    As for the comment about being a street Queen...what ever floats your boat. My wifes 79K5 is getting redone hopefully this year. Putting a mid 80's clip on it. Set of 10 inch wide mags ( like the Hell cats) and 33's. Might not even lift it just clip the fenders or maybe a set of Bushwacker flairs. Just will be jet black stem to stearn inside and out. Even the shell is getting sanded and painted. Only Chrome that will be on it will be rims and grill. Full Darth Vader effect is what the Lady wants. I want to put a full phantom grill in it. This truck will be a street queen. It will never be on more than a dirt road again as long as we own it. If anybody has a problem with it...tough...not their truck.
    Build the truck the way you want MudNurl and have fun with it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

"These trucks NEVER came with true dual."

Except for the diesels.

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The problem is clear. The muffler is broken or has something in it. That is creating the heat and the running problems. I've seen it before. Cut that muffler out, put a new one in and it will run good, even with the funny pipe arrangement.

12. Grim-Reaper

Ahhhh Good point and possible a good sorce for a set of heat sheilds for the other side if you can find one in the junk yard. Thanks for waking me up on that.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I could crawl under mine and check if anyone cares lol. (luckily they left the pipes intact when I bought the frame/body from the wrecking yard, and diesel exhaust bolts right to stock gas manifolds : )

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grim, what's a phantom grill?

15. Grim-Reaper

http://www.wedotrucks.com/parts_accessories/bg2008.htm
    That's a Phantom. Head lights behind the grill. Here is a better shot but that's not the one I want.
    http://www.geocities.com/joeno3/87chevy.html
    I need to find the Year. I think it's a GMC grill set up I'm looking for. It had a strip down the middle of the grill that was body color so it looks more like this but of course in the 73-91 body.
    http://www.wedotrucks.com/parts_accessories/bg2049.htm
    From a slight angle the headlights are not visiable but they work fine behind the grill.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Didn't you ask how to run the exhaust outside the frame? I'm sorry if I was mixed up. I figured going through all this mess to run the exhaust outside the frame was extra work and not necessary or even desireable for a street rig. I'm not talking s*** or anything like that.

Hell, I've got a 2wd truck now. A 2wd truck is really not all that useful at all to me. If this thing wasn't a 1 ton, I'd have junked it. If a 2wd rig is worth keeping, certainly a street-driven 4x4 is.

As for the $1200 doors, I'm sorry you got screwed over so bad. They might not be near as nice, but JC Whitney has decent ones that look good and work fine for $100 each.

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

the $1200 covered the doors, seam sealing and primer..not just the doors.

No it wasn't me that asked about running an exhaust outside of the frame.

I'm sorry for maybe jumping the gun- however I take offense to people that seem to think that the only thing a K5 is good for is beating through trails. I read enough crap about how IFS sucks- and anyone that would pay $45,000 for a truck is insane etc... I try to keep my opinions to myself in regards to what people do with their truck, and only ask for that in return. I was not trying to be "b*tchy"..but I guess thats in my genes.....

In respect to JC Whitney's panels, and anyone else's for that matter, they are NOT guaranteed to be exact fits, nor are they guaranteed to arrive without dings, dents etc..I was not willing to waste my time dealing with someone over the phone if something had gone wrong...which with mail order its going to at some point. I understand that there are people who would BALK at spending that kind of money on panels,,however I BALK when I think of what people spend for their Axles etc.. so again- to each his own.

Brandy

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim. I like that look.

19. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Alot can be said for not runnning 3" pipes all the way out the the back, not to mention loosing backup pressure and tork, I took a 3" system off and went back to a smaller diameter pipe to get the tork back, now I'm looking for a set of Ram's horns... small diameter to complete it.

20. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Yeah had 3" single exhaust on my '77 sub.The pipes went bad from the muffler back.And one day the muffler fell off.I noticed a drop in power.It wasn't loud so I drove it for a while.But on certain hills had to down shift when before I didn't need to.After I put a muffler andpipes back on I didn't need to down shift anymore on them hills.Brady