Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust saved my life....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

well actually my truck's life. I was driving along and all of the sudden a felt a really bad vibration, heard a loud clank, and then couldn't move I just coasted. So I pulled over got out and looked underneath and seen that my U-join on the rear driveline going to the t-case snapped, luckily for me my exhaust is H-piped right behind the t-case so the driveshaft just fell onto it and sat there rattling back and forth dinging up my mufflers. But I was sure glad that it did that rather than pole vaulting my truck doing 60MPH down the high way. I pulled the shaft out put it in 4 wheel drive and just drove home. So I was wondering does anyone use anything to hold there driveshaft in place if the U-joint fails? If so, what? pics? Thanx!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm gonna throw a chain under mine. Loop it under the shaft that will hold it. Thats what my dad uses on his dirt track cars. I've seen cars pole vault 20 feet in the air from the driveshaft dropping so I do know how luck you were /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the best thing would be a driveshaft safty loop.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! That would really be bad if you didn't have that h-pipe /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

a couple of years ago in a navagation rally i go to. a sameri droped its shaft going uh 55 mph. fliped it 8 times and landed IN a tree!!!

there was a lot of marshels that year and they were just about 5 min after a check point so they radioed for help and they were all ok. close one. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

You mean it can actually pole vault a truck? I guess I'm pretty lucky then...back in march i threw mine goin about 50 and it just slapped around on the ground and on the underbody and dented up the bottom...

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I've lost that u-joint three times without pole vaulting /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think it must be a matter of lift size, driveshaft length, etc. Although if it dropped into a pothole.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i would think it also depensd on road, leanth of truck and weigt. a sameri must be what about 120 lbs??? and a really short wheelbase. and it was on a gravel loose road. perfect for polevalting.

k5 bigger longer heavyer, so it wouldent be muck of a prob i dont think unless your flying on a dirt road.

i am compleatly unconserened in my burb. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm afeerd of that myself.the pot hole thing the most. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

not to hijack but ,hey darkshadow how far north are you???? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i broke the front ujoint in my k10 once, going 70 down the expresway. it stip it out the driver side and i ran over it. it left the slip yoke in it, actually couldn't get it out, cracked the tcase housing holding it in.

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Happened once to me. It bounced off the ground and then kinda got stuck up in the frame over the e-brake cable and just spun there while I woahed down from 65 some odd. Course had no tools to yank it out but a radiator shop about a one minute walk away was nice enough to loan me some wrenches. Phew.