Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust set up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Jul 7, 2001.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

I think my 89 K5 isnt loud enough. What is the meanest sounding yet cost affordable and easiest to install exhaust set up out there?

<font color=blue>The 1989 K5 Blazer.... when you got to crush every motherf*cker on the road.... except no substitutions</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well flowmasters sound bad@ss! I love the tune of the 40's.... can you say ROAR! Otherwise I would go w/ the longest (and mellowist/not so tin canny sounding) Thrush glass pack you can find. Some guys love packs and others hat them, personally I have run the Thrushs and think they sound pretty good... but the mellower the better IMO. A cheaper muff not a lot of people have heard of are Rhinos.... they sound alot like a Flowmaster 40 or 50 and were quite a bit cheaper last time I looked, but they have been getting more popular from what I've heard.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know an ole boy that has a '94 1 ton dually 2wd with headers and a Flowmaster 1 chamber. That rig rocks. I'm puttin a 1 chamber on my K5 when I get it. Nothing like a BBC with loud exhaust.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 1 chamber is quieter than a 3 chamber Flowmaster supposedly.

The cheapest way to do it is to get a manifold dual kit from Jeg's (a Dynomax kit). Add two of your favorite mufflers and it's cheaper than any muffler shop. $100 for the kit, add mufflers of your choice.

Oh yeah, and I've got the shortest glasspacks they make....12" long. I've also got headers. Step aside Flowmaster people, can you say ROAR?

I've had the Flows too though, I like both. Just depens on the sound you're looking for. I'm sick of both of them, I want somtehing different.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've never knowlingly heard a 3 Chamber, I'm sure I have, but not talking to the driver can't say. The 1 Chamber I hear all the time is compared to the open exhaust on a race truck I rode in. Both are LOUD. Summit has a picture of a 1 Chamber and it looks loud.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

6. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

After you figure out what kind of mufflers, don't put a tail pipe out the back. Puts some turn downs after the mufflers or pack. You will get a great tone!!!

Eat More Mud!!!

Dreaming of a BIG BLOCK!!!

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The one chamber flowmaster is one step above open headers. I think they make 'em so drag racers can compete in levels requiring mufflers with about the same power as open exhaust. The 3 chamber(50 series) will give you the classic flowmaster sound. My friend has a 97 Cobra with 3 chamber and it's real quiet at idle but gets fairly throaty as he steps into it. For a good rumble the 2 chambers(40 series) are nice but the cheapest way to is to cut off the mufflers and leave the cat.

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.K5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.K5.rockcrawler.com</A> *under construction*

8. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

How much $ do the flowmasters run. A kid at school who's dad works at a Chevy dealership told me he could get me some for $20 a piece.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have full-length headers, dual pipes and flowmaster 40 series (dual chamber) and people tell me it sounds good. Where in NJ are you? I know a few places that make real nice exhaust setups.</font color=blue>

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

$20 a piece? let me know, I want a set. I have 40 series on the Jimmy with 3" tips and it sounds awsome and the thing is stock,lol. but at $20 for a 2 chamber flow, you can't go wrong

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Summit has 2 chambers for $60 and 3 chambers for $70+, so 20 bucks is a helluva deal [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.K5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.K5.rockcrawler.com</A> *under construction*