Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust shops where to go

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaden, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Jaden

Jaden Registered Member

Just got the big block in and imagine my surprize that the exhaust doesnt line up... Any suggestions on what exhaust shop I should go to that wont try to rape me?

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Well, I can't help much, you're no where near me. We take our stuff to the local Meinake, but we've been taking him trucks for years, so he cuts us a break. Just do some calling around in your local area and see who's got the best prices. Then, if possible when you get there, look at some of the vehicles on the racks and make sure they do good work. Good luck.

3. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

what diesel said!!!

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

If you're close, try Bud's Muffler. They're at 1010 Santa Fe. (303) 629-0934.

It's been a long time ago, (~20 yrs) that I took my wagon to Bud's for a custom exhaust. I explained that I needed a bend "here" and "there" to a clear something or other that wasn't even installed yet. When it was done, I didn't think it was quite right, so the installer had me go see "Bud". Bud took a look and said "Looks pretty good to me...?" and really, he was right. I said "but I don't think it'll all fit back together..." So, he took my receipt and wrote on the back: "if for any reason this guy needs to change his exhaust routing in the future to make it fit we'll change it for free." " Bud". As it turned out, it worked perfectly and I didn't have to go back, but I thought that it was pretty cool that Bud went that far to make me happy (and knew it was right in the first place!). As far as I know, he's still running the place which is amazing as I remember passing his shop on Speer Blvd when I was a kid in the 60s.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

where ever you decide to go make sure their bender does mandrel not compression bends.

John

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Whats the difference between mandrel and compression?

7. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

when you bend tubing it is like the start of a kink and it makes the tubing a smaller diameter and oval around the corners and slows airflow. mandrel bends keep hte same size all the way through the bend so you have no restricting spots. it is easier to see the difference with pictures. good luck, Ben