Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust--Single or Dual??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Aug 8, 2002.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I just just my entire truck back together and need a new exhaust for it. Wondering if i should put a Dual or a single on. I got headers 2 1/4" at collector 2 1/2" at the cat and 3" from muffler on out. I got the parts for either one just wanting to know what would be the best?? Any thoughts??

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced my dual with a single 3" system and I have to say I like it a lot better. Besides the improvement in sound it idles a little smoother - maybe because I had no x-over on the dual system. I have the vertical ram horn manifolds and had a custom Y-pipe made up that crosses between the engine crossmember and oil pan on my first gen and goes directly to 3". No hassles with the front driveshaft or clearance beside the T-case and I was able to fit a huge single 3" muffler on the driver's side (no cat of course) which quieted it quite a but and made room for a potential air tank and/or compressor where the driver's side muffler used to sit. Seat of the pants, it feels better too, but maybe that's just what I want to feel since I'm not in a hurry to pay for another new exhaust system.

Just my $0.02 .. PM me if you have any questions

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I know a guy who does exhaust systems and he says pretty much the same thing, good flowing Y pipe to 3" muffler, 3" single tail pipe seems to work better than true duals. that's what he uses on his trucks.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I guess I'd throw my hat in for duals with no crossover. Cross over is nice for being slighty quiter and possibly an iddy biddy little bit more power, but don't expect to light the world on fire. I like the duals when you have to work on things. There is no crossover or entire system to take out if you should need to take a pipe off. Usually the transmission or inspection cover will come out without touching a pipe. Just my thoughts......

(I am biased of course because I just had new duals put on my '83 SWB and have the stock setup on my '82 K5, which sucks.)

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Chris I'd like to see a pic of your setup. It sounds sweet.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I like duals better, I have heard of some poeople having problems with clearance or removing the tranny that had duals. I have 3" duals and have never had any problems with them being in the way. But I would put dual exhaust on my lawnmower if I could figure out a way to make it work /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Bigmack run a single then a backwords y pipe then 2 big crome tips lol might lose power but would look nice(on a lawnmower) BTW is it a push mower?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You're biggest concern really needs to be if you have to pass a visual inspection. You *should* fail for true duals on that truck if you have a visual inspection, so you may want to check on that before doing them.

For some reason I'm thinking some of CO needs emission testing?

9. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Single is the only way to go. 3/4 length headers so you can have the y pipe as close to the stock position as possible. Also have a flange installed after the the transfer case.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

No it's a riding mower, might do what you said and put a couple of stacks going up like an 18 wheeler. I allready have alot of stickers on it, like flowmaster, msd, holley, etc, and a silver Mack bulldog mounted to the front of the hood. So it's allready redneck equipped, I may as well go all the way /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You need some hubcaps off a pop-up camper or a wheel horse/ariens garden tractor from the seventies. They're the dish type like what they used to put on Caprice police cars. It'd be cool. Of course, you could always weld up some fake beadlocks and that'd be cool too.

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing the same with my old rider but also pull the deck and try out 22in 4wheeler mud tires

13. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

tape off your stickers and paint it camo /forums/images/icons/smile.gif friend of mine has his painted snow camo and my mower came stock with dual exhaust its a v twin

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you guys should get into lawn mower racing..i started to modify my old 80's sears rider we had sitting around and lost interest in it..its sittin in the back yard..then i started my minibike..then i got my blazer!!...im still going to try to do something with that mower though..i have no deck for it..and its got a good running 10 hp briggs. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Bryan