Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Sep 1, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I need to know the diameter of my exhaust piping so the guy who's going to fix it for me tomorrow can get the stuff, but my Blazer is at home and I'm at work. It's an 89 K5, 350 motor, as far as I know stock single rear exit. The damaged area we're going to replace is the y-pipe off the passenger side before it joins up with the driver side. I'm, thinking 2 inch, but want to be sure...

2. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

i believe mine was 3" the single factory exhaust same year k5 too

3. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

Yeah I think it will be closer to 2" if it is before it meets the drivers side. 3" seems REALLY big for a stock y-pipe.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think the y-pipe part is 2.5", 2 1/8th something like that, and then goes to a 3" into and out of the Cat,,,,i made this mistake when getting pipe reapplied from the muffler to the tailpipe for emissions, thought it was 2.5" all the way back, then i saw the dude flaring it out to fit, oh well, new exahust soon anyways.

5. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

Your exhaust might have been 2.5" but if he was using exhaust clamps then the 2.5" pipe that you bought would not fit over the existing 2.5" pipe that was on your truck. That would be the reason he would have flared it out. If he was welding it then he shouldn't have had to flare it out unless of course it was 3" that was already on your truck.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

oh no,,,it's a serious flare i'm talkin about here, like 1/2" all the way around, not the little flare to make a slip out of it :crazy: definately 3" factory stuff on there.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When I talked to Mudfrog about a cat and muffler for my K5 he told me the stock is 3" as I wanted to go 3" cause I thought it was larger than stock. The PO apparently wanted to save a little cash or something cause my y pipe is like 2" and the main is only like 2.5. I am gonna replace it with 2.5 y and 3" with High flow cat and a super 40:D

Ira