Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust smell after running at WOT...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jun 9, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

When I'm on the highway and need to punch it to pass someone, I smell exhaust in the truck. It seems to smell a lot like PB Blaster... what could be causing this? I don't have any exhaust leaks, or if I do, they're not making any noise.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Sounds just like your catalytic converter. It's a really bad smell too, almost like spoiled eggs. Can't do anything about other than get rid of the cat.

3. mudmuncher

mudmuncher Newbie

Mine makes the same smell as you describe, almost like wd-40
    and i have no converter. Ive always wondered what it was....

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's not that rotted egg smell...I know that too well. My S-10 Blazer smelled BAD like that when the injector unit went out. It just smells like someone sprayed PB Blaster (or WD-40) into my vent after I've had it to the floor...bizarre, right?

5. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Mine also has that same smell to it and the rotten egg smell the girls always love it. So should I just gut out my cat and put it back on or take it out all the way. Also will I need to get a muffler for some back pressure. Because right now it's just the cat.

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

blazingboy, you should have always have a muffler for proper backpressure. the only engines that dont need backpressure are totally cammed out engines and such. a muffler will give your truck more low rpm torque anyday over a straight pipe