Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust smell in the cab

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Sep 5, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i get some major exhaust/gas fumes in the cab, is this normal? can anything be done about it?

thanks for the help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where do your pipes exit?

3. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Mine come out in the back corners on both sides was thinking of relocating when i build my new exhaust but where would i run it to to keep the smell from coming in the back window? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I've heard the only for sure way to get rid of the exhaust smell coming in thru the back window is to route the pipes out in front of the rear tires.

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

my pipes exit to the side right behind my rear tires, but i seem to get the exhaust smell even with my rear window closed. i was just wandering if this was normal for a big truck?

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No I dont think so... mine currently exit out at 45 degree angles on each side... like on the corners of the bumpers. And I rarely get exhuast smell. When window is down i get A LITTLE. And i used to run single pipe out the driver side behind the tire like the pipe is bent at a 90 degree angle, never a single smell of exhuast... i also ran dual pipes straight back and would get exhuast smell ALL THE TIME! My friend had a single out the side and would smell it all the time ... he found out it was because he was running really rich... you might wanna check your fuel mixture... or maybe you have an exhuast leak? on your pipes or on your manifolds/headers? You can get a exhuast shop to check for you .

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

"running really rich" ? how would i know and how do you check the fuel mixture?

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Pull a spark plug and tell us what color it is. If the carb is stock, I doubt its running rich. If you have a rust bucket, that will make it smell more. Full tune-up and maybe a step hotter plugs and you'll burn all that may not be getting ignitied. Stock motors seem to like the R45 heat range or equivalent.

9. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice guys - i'll pull a plug asap...maybe look for hotter plugs (though i'm not sure what that means). i've got very little rust, so that can't be the culprit, but hopefully i'll figure something out cuz the smell is quite annoying (used to give me headaches).

alex

10. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

i had that problem and i did every thing out back , two to one side, at a 45 and at a 90 behind the tires and still nothing so when i got my exhaust redone for my new flows i had the dude make me some dump offs cuz i just decided to go with something differnt. Anyways when i took it on the road i noticed i wasnt getting get high on fumes (and that was with my back window down) also my eyes werent watery anywho that was my experience and have keept my dumpoffs since it also sounds deep and throaty compared to other exits /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

dumpoffs? those the one's that point down...?

12. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i've got r44t in there right now, i've pulled two, one's a bit oily, the other is dry with some blackish soot and a white stained prong (the metal thing that sticks up the top. should i try the r45s?

13. Blazer_Boy

Pull some more. There shouldn't really be any heavy deposits on the procealin, tip, or the arm. A little bit is fine, but is everything looks fairly well black, then one hotter may not hurt. Older motors have leaky rings and valve guides and tend to let a little oil by. The hotter plug tends to keep things a little cleaner. A plugs heat range means how fast it dissipates heat. A hot plug holds heat longer and gets warmer. Not really rocket science by any means but little things count. Gap the new plugs at .045 if your old ones look a little carbon/oil fouled.

Check out the link..... Reading Plugs

14. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hey, thanks for the website link /forums/images/icons/smile.gif looks like all my plugs are good. i ended up replacing them all.

but i have concerns...

i had ac 44 and i replaced them with ac 45...

my chilton's manual says to gap the plugs at 60, which i did, but all my old ones were gapped at 40-50...what's up with that? should i gap my new ones at 35? i really don't want to cuz that means pulling them all back out! i've got a rebuilt engine, and i'm thinking maybe it was from a '77 (which chilton's says to gap at 35) and not a '76 like the rest of my truck.

any input is greatly appreciated /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

al

15. Blazer_Boy

.035 for points ignition, .045 for HEIs (you), and .040 for TBI motors.

16. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

why does my chilton's say 60! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

HEI ?

17. Blazer_Boy

I believe the story goes that GM got a little over excited when there new High Engergy Ignition (HEI) system came out. The specs started out at .060 and later went to .045. 1975-1986 essentially have the same ignition system save for some computer control features they added in '81. Scroll down the old Chilton's manual and everything is different from year to year. When for the most part, nothing is different. Funny how things go like that. .045 and you'll be fine.

18. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

just one more annoying question...is it worth pulling 'em all out again to change them.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

19. Blazer_Boy

Lol, sorry to say...yes. A smaller gap is easier to jump and you will get a fatter and hotter spark.

20. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

great...i can't wait...to do it all again tomorrow (the only time i wish i had a V6)

thanks for all the help /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

alex