Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Smell inside with the gate glass open...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, May 12, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As it says above. Its been nice weather wise around here and I've been running with all the windows down in my '75. Wierd thing is at low speeds or coasting to a stop I get a good wiff of exhaust. The smell ain't there if I have the rear glass up. I know its getting sucked in through the back, but my exhaust pipes exit to the side behind the rear wheels (duals, 1 per side). the driver's side pipe got bent by the PO so it angles to the corner, but not quite. Is that enough to get the exhaust sucked up the though the back glass? I know pipes straght out the back are a major no-no for that reason, but the bent pipe is not that bad. I tried to bend it back but its causing a big crease in the pipe at the bend.

When I take the top off will this get worse? I'm thinking not since the inside won't be enclosed anymore but I'm not sure. any thoughts?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Top off will be better. Lot more airflow. This happens, it just a fact with K5s.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yep,mine does this too.Pretty sure it is normal.i also have the exaust pipe to the side,and WELCOME, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake

4. cdh

cdh Registered Member

Mine too.

5. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I had a single exhaust pipe out the side and I got the smell when ever the back glass was down. Now I have duals out the back and its not as bad. Don't figure.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The only way I have found to make it tolerable is to have the pipes exit before the rear tires. With the top off you shouldn't have any problems.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, they do that. Might find that pressurizing the cab by turning the vent fan all the way up helps some.

TAKE THE DAMN TOP OFF! It's a full-vert for a reason /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

another way to combat that is to put one of those wings on the back of the topper. They are supposed to pull air down the back of the blazer to keep dust and exhaust from going in.

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Mine has the wing, and its a diesel (even worse fumes then a gasser) and I still get fumes in the cab...not a real big deal...having the windows down makes it alot more livable then not tho.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I used to have my pipes 90 degrees behind the tires and now I have them straight out the back and I get the same amount of fumes in the back. Just pop that top...

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The problem is when the vehicle is moving the rear of the vehicle, and inside the vehicle if the rear window is down, is a low pressure area. The exhaust, dirt, etc will be pulled inside from the rear because of this. It wont be as bad when the top is off. Opening up the windows or turning on the Dash Vent on high will also reduce this. You can also install an air deflector on the rear roof. Some have had luck squaring or adding squared end exhaust tips instead of the angled tips.

BTW mine does the same thing. Guess some of you guys are probably too young to remember sitting in the back of your parents 60's or early 70's station wagon, without air conditioning, during the summer, with the rear window down, getting gassed from the non-emission contolled engines /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thank god my dad finally installed an air deflector on the rear roof /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You need to add a rear deflector. That'll cure the exhaust smell and keep your window clean /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I am putting on on my '74. I put one on my '79 and it was a HUGE difference. I'll swear by it any day.

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the replies. I figured a deflector would help but did not think of putting the fan on High to help pressurize the cab. I know this much, I don't ride with the rear glass open and the door glass up. Get a little woozy that way! Your all right about one thing, the top has got to come off! probably this weekend. just need an extra pair of hands to lift it off!