Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Sound

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by caleb22, Nov 17, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I currently have glasspacs on my 89 Blazer. I want to get rid of them and get something that sounds good but without the glasspac racket. A good deep sounding exhaust.

What do you guys recommend? Flowmaster?

2. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Yea, Flowmasters will give you a really nice deep sound. I would go with one of the off brand Flows though. The design is exactly the same, I've got two 40 series and they sound great, exactly like the Flowmaster. If you want to pay for then name then go ahead, but if you don't really care just get one of the non-Flowmaster versions.

The Flowmaster 40 series will run you around $60 depending on where you buy it at. One of the others cost me $40. Got it from Here

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Flowmaster has great sound. Dont think any one will argue that. Dynomax are good too and flow a little beter.
    Go here:exhaustsoundclips.com they have sound clips of most any muff /engine combo there for your listening pleasure.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hooker Aerochamber,,,sounds similar to the Flowmaster, but alittle more mild at it.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a set of Dynomax Super Turbos. They are pretty mild at idle but give off a throaty growl when you're heavy on the pedal. IMHO, FM40s are a little too "barky".

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Glasspacks sound good, if you use the correct length glasspack, and have a resonator tip.

The longer the glasspack, the deeper the tone. A longer resonator also takes the 'edge' off. A resonator tip is something as simple as 12" of 3.5" exhaust tubing on the tip.

7. dubbyx

dubbyx Registered Member

I hate my flowmasters... seriously...

the sound outside is great, and it's fun driving by cars with alarms on... but I don't usually hear it. the noise inside the truck is annoying as hell and makes me want to fall asleep after the first 50 miles of any trip.

plus, the stereo has to be louder. usually can't hear the person next to me, much less the kids in the back.

8. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Flowmasters do have a unique sound but as a peformance mufflers are the most restrictive out of all. If I were you, I would go with Dynomax super Turbos, great sound w/o convertors, not too loud and have good flow. Also flowmaster makes a muffler called Hushpower 2's, we put some on a 39 ford coupe with a 350, sounded good, they are decent flowing, made of stainless (409 or 304 depending on how much you wanna spend) and they have cool shell technology, meaning you can put it up against a floor board and not have to worry about it. Magnaflows have the best flow on the market and a lifetime warrenty, but again are an absorbtion type muffler (like a glasspack) but the bigger the muffler you put on the less splatty, and quieter it will sound. Flowmaster's is what everyone knows because of their good advertising. Even our Jobber supplier will tell you they are junk and if they weren't in such high demand because of advertising and their unique sound they would quit handling them. I would go with the super turbo's from Dynomax if you want something not so loud and less splatty.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ditto.