Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust sound

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Nov 1, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what are some ways to modify exhaust sound for unique results...

putting holes in the pipes, bending pipe in certain ways, turning them up, down....any ideas?

2. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

Well, you could try a different muffler. If you want louder then go with glass packs. I personally like the mellow sound of flow masters.

I wouldn't start putting holes in your pipes or muffler, you have no idea what it will sound like and if you do it but don't like it then what are you going to do?

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have glasspacks now...and thats the very reason im asking

talking from mufflers back...do longer or shorter pipes change the tone at all? What about the end of the pipe...if it faces the ground, out the back, up under the body...what diff sounds are there

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well dumps (turn downs) will generally make the truck sound different, any time you change anything in the exhaust, it will change the sound, you could run larger pipe behind the muffler, maybe a half inch bigger and you could get a deeper tone, but glasspacks are just gonna be raspy and loud for the most part.,.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The size of the pipe has the biggest effect on tone. I always tell people, "The sound of your exhaust starts at the end of the tailpipe and works its way to the engine." Bigger tailpipes or even simply a large exhaust tip will make it sound louder and deeper.

In your case with a stock sized truck you can face it down to make it echo off the ground for an even deeper tone. Once you lift your truck though, forget it.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run dual 40 series flowmasters out 5" tips and it makes a very agressive sound. Shorter pipes tend to be a little louder, Bigger diameter tips make a deeper more agressive sound, facing down also makes it deeper and louder because the sound bounces off of the pavement and resonates giving a vibration off that you can feel. Here is a pic of mine. [​IMG]