Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Survey

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drofdar, Oct 29, 2005.

?

Best Exhaust Setup

1. Single

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. Dual

39 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Dual W/Crossover

40 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I would appreciate some recommendations regarding exhaust setup. I have just completed my 350 TBI installation, using Doug Thorley headers w/three inch collectors. Two into one for single, dual, or dual w/crossover? Flowmaster? I want to get your opinions and any information on dyno proven setups. My project truck is a 1973 fullsize.

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

do you need to run a catilytic converter? if not then run straight pipe down past the t-case then an h-pipe for some good sound then i would put on a pair of magnaflow glasspacks with some stainless tips at the back of your rig.

3. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Exhaust

No Cat, 1973 is smog exempt. By H, do you mean dual w/crossover?

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

ya

front......rear
    _______ _____
    _____\_/
    _____/_\_____

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

just like that 2.5"

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

that the setup im likely to do, cept maybe 3". im gonna go with the new flowmaster super 40s, which are suposidly louder and give a lil more hp then the original 40s.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you want loud and rary nasty get these. i had them and will get a nother set soon.:D :bow:

9. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I voted for the single set-up. I would go with 3" tubing. The single set-up is less weight, performs well, and as Z3PR stated, less chance of it getting hung up on something.

10. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i said dual...its what i have on my truck, everything is tucked up in the frame rails and stuff...no way to get it hung up on anything IMO. Simple and easy to do, no Y pipe to get hung up, no x pipe to complicate stuff, simple and straight back to 2 superturbos dumped over the axle. So far it works well for me. Im not worried about sound much and im happy with these quiet super turbos.

11. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I agree w/BigRed89 3" single.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

duals are kinda cool in that they are simple and tend to offer better clearance (no need to worry about where the y-pipe crosses over!) but not so cool if you want to run a clocked doubler. I would think the 205 and the passanger-side exhaust pipe would be occupying the same place... could be wrong though. Anyone have duals + a clocked doubler?

j

13. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey guys post some pics of your exaust setups! I would love to see how you routed the tubes for an H pipe or single exaust.

14. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

what type of setup did petersen's 4x4 ultimate k10 have? i only saw part 3 and 4 of the build...

15. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Clocked Doubler?

What is a clocked doubler?

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

run a single croosover, no x pipe, its easier and sounds better, magnaflows flow better but flowmasters sound better, maybe a few horsepower differance, (2-3) thats why i went with flowmasters, they just sound better. i worked in a muffler shop one summer and if was all out power then it was magnaflow but if it was sound it was alway flowmaster....

17. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

hmmmm...i could see that being a problem, but for the majority of guys on here, i feel duals would work well. I don't ever see myself running a clocked doubler (maybe clocked single case, but kinda doubtin that too at this stage in my life) and will prob keep what i have for a while now.

18. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Dude go with the dual with the crossover. I did a whole new custom exhaust for my K5 it was easy. I ran shorty headers with cats then a H-pipe then flowmaster 40's. I ran the exhaust right out the back. When I kinda get on it it sounds like my truck is a race car. When I really get on it sounds like I am pushing 2000HP. I mean it sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
    The only place where I am scared that my exhaust will get ripped off is where I bent the pipe coming off from the headers. The bottom of the bend is alsmot even with the bottom of my diff :doah: . I will be changing that soon.
    Thanks
    Adam

19. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

The Powersticks sound awesome but are as loud as straight pipe. Back when I was dealing with smog, I ran a 383 with headers into 3" pipe with 3" cat and 3" Flow 40 series. The Super 40's are little deeper, and dont seam quite as loud as idle. I like em cuz they make more power and are deeper. Right now I am runing dual 2.5" with Flowmaster 40's and the Powersticks right behind 'em. If your gonna run a Flowmaster or other chambered muffler go with H-Pipe behind tranny. If your using a straight through muffler use a 'X' Pipe. On mine, I get the deep sound from the Flows, a little bit of dragster crackle from the Powersticks and a nice whine from the gear drive on my 425-450HP 383!! All making it difficult to hear that 12" sub I just put behind the seat...

20. gotchevys?

gotchevys? Registered Member

super 40s

Like trial blazer said, the Super 40s are a deeper tone with way less interior noise, But they still sound Awsome. Until I recently sold my 71 4wd I had two trcks to compare. My 71 Chevy 4wd short bed had a 396 with flowmasters with dual 3inch exhaust exiting out the sides behind the tires. I don't know what series flowmasters they were. They were on it when I bought it. It sounded awsome, but you had to raise your voice to talk in it driving at 55. My 70 Chevy 2wd, also with a short bed and 396, had dual 3 inch exhaust with super 40s and it also sounds awsome. It has a deeper tone but really screams like a flowmaster should when you get on it. you can drive down the intersate turning 3000 and still talk in a normal voice and it has turn downs about 18 inches behind the cab! I love the super 40s. :burb: :usaflag: