Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust System (Dual)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Jun 30, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Where can I get a complete exhaust system (dual) to put on my 1986 K-5 Blazer w/ SB chevy. I am trying to avoid putting Cat converters on.
    ED

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Dynomax makes a full dual exaust kit for blazers. They make one for both manifolds and headers. You can get it at summit or jegs. I think its about 100 and you can put any mufflers in you want. I the full dual kit w/ headers and it fits really well on my 78. Its all 2 and a 1/4 inch pipe, and comes with clamps and everything, but you can weld it in if you wish. IMO you cant beat the price.

Sparky

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Do you know if they have one to fit a 1986? Do other years fit as well? Do you know the web site?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I found the site, but have no clue which system to use, any ideas?
    ED

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You can take it to any Muffler shop and let them know that your making a "Off-Road Only" vehical and they will put anything you want on it..... It helps if you trailer it in and take your plate off..

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Actually mine is illegal, so payed the guy 200 under the table basically and had it done, just do a little 'gettin to know em' and most palces will do it how you want it. I drove my there with open headers, then drove it home.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

wish someone made a 3in kit

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah they make a kit for your year blazer, i put a dynomax kit on my 85, in all honesty it didnt fit that great, i cant for the life of me get the rear pipes to line up straight together, no matter what i did one was always an inch higher...
    now i may just have gotten a bad kit, or they could have accidentally sent the wrong thing, i've heard mixed reviews on the dynomax kit,
    but all in all it works and even though it may look a little fuuny from the rear, i'm not building a show truck...
    just one more thing on the to do pile, too bad it keeps getting pushed aside by real problems..

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got Dynomax kits on both my pickups with no problems.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your lucky. Off road only is still illegal since there is no such thing anymore,(federally) and all the shops around here are afraid of the big bad EPA, so won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. (can't really blame them, $200 job isn't worth a $10,000 fine) Friend of a friend is the only way I can get it done locally.

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I drove mine with headers to the shop here and paid him $200 bucks to run all the pipes back with chrome tips! Oh and that's 3"! He just wrote Off-Road Only on the ticket and I drove home! I love it! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

A friend got his done using the "off road only".... Mine came stock with dual, and no cats.... '78 with a 400 came stock with dual exhaust that didn't have cats, canaster, or pump...... ask it that way

15. dyeager535

Well, I doubt *I'd* ever write anything like that down if I were a shop...

"Question 2.
    Can I remove a converter from a vehicle that is used only for "off-road" driving?
    Answer 2.
    No. The tampering prohibition discussed in Answer 1 applies to this situation as well. The federal tampering prohibition pertains to "motor vehicles," which are defined by section 216(2) of the Act as "any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. A light-duty vehicle manufacturer certifies en engine-chassis configuration as meeting the applicable emissions standards for motor vehicles manufactured in a given model year, and it is not legal for anyone to "de-certify" a motor vehicle for "off-road"

from http://es.epa.gov/oeca/ore/aed/comp/jcomp/j11.html

Definitely not trying to be a spoil sport, I've got duals on my truck and will on my car (both "illegal", even though both drivetrain/exhaust setup would be legal in an older vehicle) just want people to understand there is no longer a "loophole" like that.

FWIW, I called all the local shops (walk in would be a different answer perhaps) and told them I'd trailer the car in, since it would be race only, and that the interior was stripped, but still no one would touch it.

I certainly hope the EPA doesn't get bored and start going to race tracks.

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Shops around here make you sign a "contract" saying you will use it for offroad only.

17. dyeager535

Signing their businesses death warrant apparently. Would be nice blackmail material if the shop tried to screw you though : )