Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust system fixed, Updated

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

hooray, went to Mesa Muffler today, and for 120 bucks, had them fab, and weld in the back half of my exhaust system. only took about 45 minutes, and as I said 120 bucks. comparatively, it would have taken me about 80-90 in parts, been clamped on, and taken me several hours to do it, and leaked in the worst ways possible, so a good deal for me.

on the positive sides, it sounds quieter, especialy in the cab, and allows me to drive with the rear window down, without choking on CO, and unburned fuel. the best part, is as long as the headers I get for the 454 land in the same general location, I'll be able to reuse the whole thing. ( currently set up for headers, so should bolt right on to the new ones)

to top it off, it sounds really nice too, so a giant positive there too. now, as long as I can pass emissions, I'll be happy. at worst, I'll have to get an extention on emissions, and do them after I do the 454 swap. ( same requirement to pass, but the engine is in a lot better condition)

-Rich

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Re: Exhaust system fixed,

What do you attribute to your ability to drive with the back window down? Exit location? I would like to acheive this myself /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Jon

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

deffinately exit location. I have duals that terminate under the rear fenders behind the tires. they also protrude out from under the fenders by about 2 inches, which lets the wind sweep the exhaust away. when they terminated under the truck, the crap for aerodynamics of the truck sucks the exhaust from under the truck, and upwards over the rear window. if you have a rear exit exhaust, you have the same problem. another thing that helps, is a windflector wing over the rear window. this helps force air down over the window.

-Rich

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, looks like the wind deflector is my key... I have factory dual exit (both sides) just behind the tires, but no wind deflector /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Thanks!!

Jon

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

today I fixed the exhaust on the Yellow suburban. only a minor problem with the donor exhaust system having a slight difference in the way it hooks to the exhaust manifold. so, tomorrow I fix it with hammers, saws, and etc.

with exception of the leak sounds, its a nice low rumble through the generic turbo mufflers its wearing. something you more feel then hear.

-Rich