Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust system for 1984

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wags86, Feb 22, 2007.

1. wags86

wags86 Registered Member

I have been looking for a complete exhaust system for my 1984 with a 305 V8. I am interested in installing headers, y pipe, perhaps a new cat and tail pipe sections. It can be either single or I would prefer a duel set up. Any ideas/suggestions out there? Thanks:bow:

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have the same rig as you. I opted for 2 1/4 pipes coming off the factory manifolds to retain the EFE valve for quicker engine warmups in the winter. We have no smog up here, so I eliminated the cats and decided on running a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos.

Before you spend the dough on a complete pre-bent system, I suggest you stop by a local exhaust shop and see how much they'll charge you for a custom-bent setup. :thumb:

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i just did my 84. hooker comps. 2.25 straights into flowmaster 40series. then dumps under each tailight. i like it.lol

4. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i have an 85. just bougth flowtech headers (100) and called around for options.
    ill put them on, and 1 shop will run dual pipes all the way back with flowmasters for 300 and another shop will run duals all the way back with turbos for 240.

still havent decided which one i want yet. no cats going in
    2 1/4 pipe

mine is a 305 also

5. solidaxlesub

solidaxlesub 1/2 ton status

you can order a 2.25 -2.5 fully mandrel bent duel exhaust kit from hooker. can be ordered for headers or manifolds and dosent come with mufflers. I ordered one from PAW years ago, but have seen them listed a few months ago in catalogs. It will say its for "off road use only" because it eliminates the cat. hope this helps.

6. wags86

wags86 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I will stop in or make a few calls to some local shops to see what they can do for me.

7. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I have '84. I put on heddman headers and true duals. with 2 chamber flowmasters. I didnt have the cats put on. AFter a month of driving, the fumes were so bad and the noise was raspy, a lil too much for my taste, so I went back to muff shop and had 2 Catco cats put in. I didnt lose any power at all and it is now quiet and no more fumes.

8. BlaKK54Speed

did you run yours out the back under the tailgate? i hear this is really bad for the flow. all the gas comes right back towards the truck.

9. ghostrider32

ghostrider32 1/2 ton status

i seggest you put them out the side behind the rear shackle. I have 2.25 out of heddman headers through flow masters , fumes and sound was horrid when i had to cut them to do a shackle flip. Extended them 6 inches to come out behind the hanger no more fumes or raspy sound. deep and mellow

10. BlaKK54Speed

yea mine are coming out the sides behind the shackles. no fumage for me!