Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust system help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wes, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Wes

Wes Registered Member

I have a problem. If I leave the rear window of my 85 K5 open which I like to do on nice days, I get a lot of exhaust fumes inside the cab. I was planning on redoing my system when it finnaly rotted out and I'm close enough now. Only thing to keep in mind, I drive in sub-zero weather with lots of snow about 4 to 5 months a year. On the other hand we don't have emissions testing here and so if my old system should fall off just before I take it in the mechanics will put on what ever I want and omit any unnessesary parts.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Wes do you have a diesel? If not count your blessings. I have to practically wear a haz mat outfit while driving mine. try and dump the exhaust before the back tires out the side of the truck. The worst place is straight out the back. JS

3. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a complete exhaust system for sale. If you have an LMC magazine handy you'll see it in the exhaust section. It comes
    with all the piping for a dual exhaust 2 mufflers and all the hanging equipment. I bought it for my Blazer but in California we have very strict emission laws. So thats why I'm selling it for $140.00 let me know if your interested.
    you can get a hold of me here or email me at jlonaker@onecolor.com

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I used to have the same problem. I had my exhaust redone from the mufflers back. It's dual exhaust with glass packs, 24 inch echo tubes, and no catalytic converters. My new exhaust now empties out behind each back tire. Now I drive with the back window down with no problems. Sounds good too.

5. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

WES , DEFINATELY have your exhaust point out the side behind the tires!!! I too had the very same problem and just solved it today. I ran dual 2.5 with Flowmasters and sent them pointing outward behind the rear wheels. I am truly amazed at what a differance it made. Good Luck...

6. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

I am interested in this exhaust system if no one else has laid claim to it first.I sent for,and have not yet received the for mentioned catolog,so can you provide me with a litte details,where the system starts,and exits.

7. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

Starts from the exhaust manifolds and exits on each side of the rear tires it consists of all the piping, 2 turbo mufflers & all the hanging equipment so that you can do the job yourself. You can contact me here or direct to my email
    jlonaker@onecolor.com

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

even with the ends pointing behind the rear wheels i can still smell a trace of fumes. i am getting one of those aero-wings for the top, i have heard good things about them to solve in cab fumes and to keep the rear window clean.

Knife.

9. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

Yup the wings really help. I removed mine so I could park in the garage, but I put it back on right away so I could breath.

Scott 87JIMMY

10. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I see those dual exhausts for the seventies trucks but not for the eighties trucks. I am looking for a dual exhaust kit from the headers back (have the headers but not installed yet until I have a exhaust) dual pipes into two mufflers and exit out the side behind the rear tires. Do they make them for a 87 with 4wd?

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have stock dual's that come out behind the drivers side rear wheel. When I rode with the rear window down it was awful. I bought the Aerowing from GTS and it solved that problem as well as now the rear window stays much cleaner.

12. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well if you don't have one of those wings than reguardless of the exhause sys and how expensive you'll still get fumes in. The air becomes turbulent behind the vehicle because face it its a box with wheels and a motor and the fumes mix with this air and flows into your back window. The wing will force air from the top straight down over the window. This will also keep the back alot cleaner from dirt and other good stuff.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........