Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust systems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PineyPower, Oct 3, 2001.

1. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

ok i`m looking to put an exhaust on my 83 k5 blazer.I want to do headders dual pipes mufflers the whole deal.I was just wondering if u guys had any sugestions about what i should put on and what will give me the most horse power.Personily i was thinking about hooker headders and flowmaster mufflers..Well guys fell free to tell me what u think thanks

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Go for the hooker headers... you can either run some flows.. i like the warlocks... you can unscrew and pull a plug that makes it a stright muffler (instead of it doing that back and forth thing in mufflers).... so its alot louder alot more flow etc. And when you drive on the street put the plug in and its a low restirction muffler like flows i guess. When you go off road or "race" hehe unplug it and your running striaght mufflers... pretty neat aint it.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208, 4.11's coming soon.
    Kn filter

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

what ever you use for headers and mufflers make sure the shop or you put on pipe with smooth bends and no crimping. if you are going to use headers have them or buy them coated, they look very nice and they will last longer and run cooler.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers and 2 1/4" duals that I got in a kit. Turned out very well. <a target="_blank" href=http://mavericktim.freeyellow.com/exhaust.jpg>Here's a Picture for you. It took me less than 1 hour to run the pipes. You can use whatever kind of 2 1/4" mufflers you like. </a>

Edited to make the link work. Admire my NP 208 which will be gone soon. The grass hanging from the front driveshaft is cool too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 10/07/01 10:54 PM.</FONT></P>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man you sure preach this setup... this would have save me some serious $$$ if I'd found out about it before I did my exhaust setup.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

how much was the total cost on the kit and where did you get it
    i cant see the pic so what ype of mufflers any cats?

7. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

thanks guy but one more question what kind of flow masters should i get(iwant a deep loud sound out of them)30,40,50series,ect.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I just put in Dynomax headders (mine aren't coated), Dynomax duals and Dynomax super turbo mufflers this weekend. It all cost me about $283 I think from Jegs That includes the A/C bracket too which is on back-order.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Total:

$206 for headers
    $110 for pipes
    $32 for 12" glasspack mufflers
    No cats

Looks like for under 350 bucks you can have coated headers and dual exhaust. You run it yourself, it fits good, (I have bent exhaust systems before, I have never had one come out as nicely as the kit did) it's cheap, and you can do it at home.

I preech this setup because I had a crappy sounding single exhaust for a long time because I wasn't going to waste money on a better single setup and I knew I couldn't afford $600 for what I really wanted. When I found this kit, it was perfect for me.

I do want to change to a different kind of muffler, I'm not sure what it'll be. I think I'm going to try the 30 series Flowmaster 1 chambers. I had the 2 chambers and they weren't loud enough. I like very loud, but I want it to sound good. My glasspacks do sound very good from idle to 3,000 RPM though, nice and deep sound.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

where did u get this kit?? I am looking for a dual exhaust and everyone wants $400-500 for it! this one sounds like a winner!!

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jeg's High Performance. Glad I could be of help.

Tim

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

LOL!!!! $200 for ceramic coated headers! those suckers will be mine! awsome! i am having problems finding the bolt on exhaust. i see the link on the site but i do not see an application for a 1977 k5...am i blind?

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I thought that I might not find the correct one and I'd have to tell you to order the one for a K5, but I did find that there is indeed a K5 kit:

Jeg's PN: 289-89005
    Description: Header dual kit for 73-88 Chevy Blazer
    Cost: 113.99

There you go. Enjoy.

Tim

14. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

The Dynomax Cerama-Coat Headers .. would they fit a k5 ? It says that it fits 66-87 SB-Chevy 2/4WD .. so im guessing that it would ? [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    The flag still stands for freedom and they cant take that away !

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a full system from Summit and Jegs last thursday. I got ceramic coated Flowtech Afterburner headers and the Dynomax dual kit from Summit cause Jegs didn't have the headers in stock, and the Flowmaster Dyna Flow 50's and h-pipe came from Jegs cause the mufflers were on back order at Summit. Everything came to about $550 (the Dyna Flows are expensive ~ $85 each) and only took 2 days to get here. The only thing I forgot was the reducers with the O2 sensor bung welded in but I just found a bung at a local parts store I'll weld into the reducers that I have. I didn't get the a/c bracket because I should be able to just use spacers (I HOPE!!). I'm going to spend the next couple nights installing everything and "tweaking" things to fit the way I want so they stay away from rocks, etc. I'll let you know how everything fits.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All Chevy trucks from this era are essentially identical from the front seats to the bumper. Look underneith and you'll see what I'm talking about. Of course, that means that they'll fit a K5, truck, whatever, same thing.

In fact, the dual kit for a pickup will fit a K5 too. Just leave out the extension pipes that go after the mufflers and before the tailpipes.

Tim