Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust systems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PineyPower, Dec 11, 2001.

1. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

Ok i was wondering if it was legal to put dual exhust and cats on my blazer that came stock out of the factory with one cat and one exhust.. I have to take it through inspection in like 3 weeks and the exhust is rotated away so i was wondering if it would pass inspection this way iI live in new jeresy..So if anyone could help or knows where i could find out this info it would be greatly appricted.. thanks Jay

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I know somewhere they just passed that you can't change it to duals if it came stock with a single exhaust. Give a call to the inspection peeps or the police office, they should be able to find out.

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes. Maybe no. It depends on the year. I have an 85 Jimmy that has true dual exhaust. It is illegal. I have taken it threw inspection with the true duals and no one said anything. This is the advice I give to people when they ask this question. If you are really worried about it get a 3" pipe to the cat and 3" from the cat to the muffler. Get a high flow cat, and then a flowmaster with single inlet and dual exits. Then run 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipes to either side of the truck. Looks like dual sounds pretty good, and flows alot better then stock.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I've read somewhere, its illegal to change a exhaust system, anywhere in the USA if it came with single it has to remain single, now how many of the inspectors will take the time to research weither or not it was or wasn't who knows. I see brand new trucks all the time in Texas that I know didn't come with duals sporting the same so go figure. Or do like I did take the K5 and retire it to only off-road and to heck with the inspections.

White Knight

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It all depends on how hardcore the inspectors are. If they visually inspected my truck, and went to the letter of the law on the exhaust I would fail. They really don't seem to care all that much in AZ about what type of exhaust you have, as long as it passes the etest. The system I proposed in my previous reply is legal. I know my truck and many other came from the factory with two pipes exiting one muffler. The only difference is that the pipes exit on either side of the truck instead of just one side like factory. The system is the same configuration as stock just with different exits.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Mine came factory single- its now a true dual- its an 86, and I haven't had any problems with inspection- I don't know if it really is illegal, or not- your best bet is to call the Dept of Trans in your state. Does anyone here have a dual- thats been DENIED an inspection because of it? instead of investing the money in a "fake" dual- get budies with the inspection guy- whats the worse that can happen, it will cost you a case of beer once a year for inspection. We had a friend that did inspection's, the Corvette's was up in September, and we parked it October 31 of every year. One year, we had bald and I mean BALD tires, didn't want to replace them just to sit all winter, and it cost me a case of beer, but I got the new inspection sticker! LOL

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It is federally illegal to change the number of catalytic converters your vehicle came with, the ONLY exception being if you were to go with a NEWER drivetrain that had for instance two catalytic converters. It is illegal to go BACKWARDS with emissions. In other words, you can't put older stuff in a newer vehicle.

Now, the converse side is that since the federal government does not do smog inspections (AFAIK) if the local city/county/state agency that does smog testing does not have a visual inspection (such as a dyno only test) then you could probably get away with it. But if you have a visual, and they know your vehicle was supposed to have a cat, and care, then you will fail. Nothing state about it, it is illegal. It may not have happened in your area yet, but here, unless you "know someone" you will not have a cat removed, and you will not get a shop to do any work on a vehicle with a "modified": exhaust system.

Not that I agree or disagree, thats just the way it is now.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?