Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust temp for gas motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CBLAZER81, Oct 21, 2002.

1. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of building a new motor for the rig. I wanted to paint my headers before I put them back on and was looking for a paint that will stand up to the temperatures put out by the exhaust. The cheapest thing I have found so far is VHT's flame proof (supposed to stand up to 1500 F). Does this stuff actually stand up to the temps or would it be a waste of time? I did find something else good to 2000F but it's $50 for 12 oz. They're cheap summit headers so I don't want to spend the money for a ceramic type coating.
    I would also like to know just how hot the exhaust gets on a sb 350. I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find any numbers about it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude i painted my headers up real pretty, with two different kinds of high- temp paint. looked real nice and resisted sctatches. lasted less than a week ! was a real disapointment. dont know what else to do bit shell out big bucks (i wont) or keep re-doing it over and over again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I used high temp the first time I installed them and it was gone by the time I got it home from my shop. I've never found anything that would stand up to it, but I also never paid $9 a can for spray paint before. That's why I was thinking about the VHT.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Don't waste your time thinking you can find any kind of paint that will stay on headers for more than a week even the highest temp rating.
    Either just leave them bare or coat them.

5. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I've used Plasti-Kote Hi-Temp paint, rated to 1500F. It holds up to header temps just fine. The hassle with these kinds of paint is that if you want it to last, you have to bake it properly. That means spray paint your headers, let them dry to touch, and then bake at 600F. That temp is critical, so bolting the headers on and running the engine won't cut it. I went to place that does powder coating, and they baked my headers and Y-pipe for me.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Another thing to think about is that even if you get the outside coated, you've got to worry about the insides.

Recent article in Car Craft about header coatings on the INSIDE of the headers, and although their focus wasn't on the rust issue, it certainly would help.

IMO buy cheap headers (that still seal) and replace them every few years as they rust through.

$200 for cheap thin flange steel headers, $300 for thick flange steel headers, probably $400 for coated headers with thick flanges, and about $600 for stainless headers. (Which my friend at a speed shop says tend to crack a lot)